Need some help understanding my roo...

PurpleCArTires

Crowing
Sep 23, 2020
Taneytown
I have two 7 month old RIR roosters. Usually they are pretty good. Recently my one boy (Prince) has been attacking me and my son for no apparent reason. He jumps up and slaps his wings on our legs. Tonight was the worst... He even ripped a hole in my pants. He is the Alpha amongst the gents also.

The other roo (Kyle) is extreamly submissive. He even squats when you pic him up. My 5 year old son can carry him like a baby.

The two roosters get along just fine. We have plently of ladies for them both and they were raised together.

I am looking for some guidance on what to do with Prince (the mean one). He is a better roo than Kyle (shares his food with the ladies, dances for them, alert for predators, etc).. He is also extreamly dark red and beautiful. (Kyle is nota ladies man or as pretty, either) But I cant have Prince beating on us for no reason.

He used to let me scoop him up, but he wants nothing to do with us now. I'll cull him if I have to, but I am hoping someone has some ideas on what I might be doing wrong, or if I can do anything to tame him again. His attacks are soo random. And most of the time its when I am about to give them treats.

Any help is appreciated!

He can tear your child's face!
This bird needs to go ASAP, and maybe, just maybe, your underdog cockerel will turn out okay. If you rehome #1, do it with full disclosure, and where there are no children, at least. I think he needs to be invited to dinner somewhere.
In general, at least hatchery RIR cockerels have a reputation...
Mary

He can tear your child's face!
This bird needs to go ASAP, and maybe, just maybe, your underdog cockerel will turn out okay. If you rehome #1, do it with full disclosure, and where there are no children, at least. I think he needs to be invited to dinner somewhere.
In general, at least hatchery RIR cockerels have a reputation...
Mary
Lol. I am gonna send him to the table before I try to rehome him. I dont want him to hurt anyone. Just didnt know if Its something that can be corrected. He used to be like a giant baby and only recently started the leg smacks. First time i was holding a chick, so I assumed he was trying to protect it. But since then its mostly when i walk them to their coop for bedtime. And its so random. Like he will be fine all day, then random smack my leg. :(

It’s partly his age. At about this age is when they start having behavior changes due to hormones, confidence, whatever. usually once this type of behavior starts it is extremely difficult to change without sending him to camp.....freezer camp.

Thank you all for the replys. Pretty much what I expected to hear. I was really hoping to keep him, but I defiantly dont want to have to worry about my son with the chickens. Looks like he signed his death warrent :hmm

I actually would recommend a non rooster flock where there are small children. Roosters, even the seemingly good ones are unpradictable around little people.
My best behaved roosters are the ones i have not befriended, handled , coddled or even acnowledged. I am alpha in the flock.
These roosters stay clear of me, move out of my way when i walk thru, and are to intimidated by me to attack.
I only handle them at night for health checks and spur trimming.
Remember chickens are the closest living dna of dinasaurs.
Not related to kittens or puppies. They dont have empathy, or remember who was their chick mates or broody mom. Who they got along with for years, or respect for who feeds them.
If my rooster attacked me , i would chase him down and easily ring his neck without a second thought....and i think he know it
Roosters are pleantyfull, he would be easily replaced.

Back
Top Bottom