Need some help with a soft shell egg problem

Feb 25, 2021
California
Hen had a soft shell egg that she pooped out this morning. Normally, after expelling by the soft shell, she would be acting a little sleepy but would get perkier over time. This time, she is still quiet though usually after this long she would be must more active.
The hen still eats and responds to my calls but she isn’t walking around much and stands stands still in one place most of the time. Her tail is held down most of the time and her poop is included in the pic below. For the most part she looks fine, the only part that looks abnormal is her vent feathers, which are covered in poo.
723FD944-B6B8-4227-B13A-4B0D8A150AF9.jpeg

I did see the soft shell come out but is it possible that some of shell is still stuck inside of her? Maybe she has an infection? This isn’t her first soft shell egg, she has had a soft shell egg problem a few times before which I also made posts about. I never saw her poo like this before however. Any idea on what this might be?

If she passed a shell-less egg and she's still behaving as if she's uncomfortable, it is often a sign another eggs is close behind the first and these soft eggs are very difficult to pass.

The poop is likely a consequence of these problem eggs. Give her a calcium tablet. I prefer calcium citrate since it is quickest to be absorbed. But if all you have is a Tums, give her one of those.

Also, place her in a crate on some comfortable towel to absorb fluids that may be coming out of her. She may be very thirsty, so be sure she has water handy to drink. You may give her a little dry feed or soft boiled egg. Then let her rest in a quiet place while the calcium does its work to produce strong contractions to push out a possible second egg.

If she does pass another egg, she will need a calcium tablet each day for a few days until her cycle is recalibrated. Calcium citrate is best for this purpose.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

Update-Hm, so it has been two days, her poop looks more “normal” now but I seems to have a bit of egg white with it? I’m countinuing giving her calcium. She has perked up more and now calls me more often and eats much more. She also walks around more often.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    696 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom