1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need some help with Balut.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bantaclear, Aug 31, 2012.

1. bantaclear

bantaclear Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    High River
    My husband works with someone who has asked me if i would be interested in do Balut. He can also get me many more people who will by from me. Now i have no problems doing this as they pay 1.75 an egg from the place they get them from now. My question and problem is what do i do with them after the 18 days of incubation? Do I do them like a hard boiled egg? Do I just put them in the fridge? I tried to look this up but I get lost and confused cuz I can never seem to find a straight answer. Any help on this would be wonderful thank you.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The people who buy them will do their own cooking. You take the egg out of the incubator and sell it at that point, raw.

4. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

The one thing I would *not* try when I visited the Philippines!

As Oregon Blues said, I'm pretty sure they just want to buy the 'raw' partially incubated eggs.

-Wendy

5. Rock Sister

Rock Sister Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    North Florida
    Old post! I am getting $35 a carton for Balut in 2016 now... 5 bucks a pc.
    Close your eyes and it tastes like a really rich chicken broth. I buy rice husks, wrap them in it because it produces a slightly sweeter taste and remove from bater at 17 days because after that, bones too hard. Amazing the different in prices now!

6. the judge

the judge New Egg

Jan 17, 2015
    Maryland
    I have a friend at work that I've sold balut to but I'm using chicken eggs instead of duck eggs. [​IMG]
    $1.00/egg is what I get here in Md.
    Are you using duck eggs

7. Rock Sister

Rock Sister Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    North Florida
    We use American White Ducks for Balut.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by