need some help with broody hen introductions.

jstinsmommy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 13, 2012
I hope someone can help me. We were intersted in getting baby chicks. We got them today. 2, 5 day old golden sexlinks, 1, 4 week old dark brahma, and 1, 3 week old barred rock. I have an area set up with for the chicks with the light, the food, shavings and everything. I also have a hen in my backyard that has gone broody. So the lady that i got the chicks from said that we could probably put the 5 day old chicks with the broody hen and then she will mother them and raise them. not only keeping them warm but helping her to come out of her broodyness. We tried to do that however she picks on them a bit, not too bad, but mostly wont have anything to do with them. she goes back to setting in her corner, and the chicks are both huddled in the corner. Should i just abandon this idea? Please any help is much appreciated.

not yet. I am gonna try that tonight. I have my box set up with a divider in it. the light is on one side with the all the chicks and my broody hen (chatty) on the other side. With the light on the one side the garage is not completely dark. Do you think that will be ok?

Yeah I do. Chickens are pretty deep sleepers! Just a warning though I have had mothers kill chicks if they didn't accept them. Mostly if the chicks were persistant . But it sounds like they arn't so everything should be fine!

ok thank you for your help. I will post tomorrow to let you know how it goes. Small side note question. How do i get back to my post?

I actually just figured that one out! On the right hand corner of the screen there is a button that says My Profile. Click on that and scroll down to see all of your recent activity. Your post will be there. Can't wait to hear how things go tomorrow!

I have one more question. i placed the 2 chicks in the coop with the hen, and they instantly run to the other side and my hen then freaks out and runs to the other side. i guess i am just so worried that they just arent going to work together and i dont want the poor chicks to be too cold tonight for the little ones.

Its ok, she just kept going after the little ones so i am guessing she is not ready to mother yet. I had to take her out. Bummer. I was hoping she would. I kept trying to put the chicks in but she just woke up and then started going after them again. Thanks for checking in with me. And thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom