1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need some help with coop design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bam5309, Apr 26, 2017.

1. bam5309

bam5309 New Egg

Apr 26, 2017
    so I have 6 8 week old chickens currently living in my basement. im hoping to get my coop finished my the end of the month. but im still trying to figure out how to do the roof and doors. and im wondering if I should Thompson seal the whole coop being that it's made from osb. I got my roosts built. im thinking no more towards a lean to roof. i also need to figure out how to connect the 3 boxes. [​IMG]

2. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    OSB isn't going to hold up to the weather unless you live in a desert climate. Sealing it may help for awhile. We have a OSB floor in our coop, it's sealed with a thick deck paint, but our coop is very dry, no water, thick layer of shavings and windows that open out so it doesn't rain in.

3. bam5309

bam5309 New Egg

Apr 26, 2017
    I live in Ohio lol. so no desert climate. i eventually want to put siding on.

4. bzombie

bzombie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2017
    Ohio
    im in ohio also ..we went to the amish and got scrap metal for ours( alot cheaper being scrap)... im going to have gray sides and a red roof.....
    im having a hard time to make sure theres enough ventalation. Not sure. New to all this.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by