Need some help with my french black copper Maran

littlestars17

Songster
9 Years
Apr 9, 2010
Not sure if I should worry or not, My 29 wk old FBCM has been laying for about a month and a half now and no problems, a pretty little speckled egg almost every single day..Today I noticed her in the nesting box when I went to let the girls out around noon(it was super rainy this morning so I made them wait) so I shut the door and checked her out from the big door, she kinda sqwaked at me so I left her to lay her egg..My oldest son got home around 240 so I sent him out to collect(my 3 golden comets lay every morning like clockwork so knew there were at least those out there)and he said he couldnt the two fbcm's were in there(hubby said Opi was sitting on pepper,the fbcm in questions, head lol,Opi is kinda a mental chicken)so sent out son#2 when he got home around 4 and once again he said Pepper was still in the box but he snuck out 4 eggs, 2 speckled(which are usually the fbcm) and 2 golden comet eggs- She seemed ok, she looks good so just sent hubby out to check and she was still in the nesting box all fluffed up while her sisters are all on the roost. Her comb and wattles look good, she didnt seem to ahve any wounds/I felt around for an egg(in case she is eggbound) but i truly have no clue what IM looking for- what else could it be?? She is pooping and when hubby went back out with her he put her on the shorter roost and she hopped up to the larger...Any ideas?

Sounds like she might be trying to go broody. (wants to hatch some eggs) If you have fertile eggs you could let her try to hatch some or break her broodiness.

Good luck

Imp

EEK Its so cold here already : ( And no fertile eggs so I guess IM going to have to try to break her broodies(sadface),I dont want little chics when it is this super cold-Any suggestions on breaking a broody?

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
That's what it sounds like to me too.

I put mine in a wire bottom rabbit hutch with food/water but NOTHING to make a nest out of. It usually only takes a couple of days before they get over themselves (seems to take less time the earlier you get them in there) and can go back in with the flock.

Thanks Kitty, The only wire bottom hutch I have is very small, She may just barely fit, not sure if she can fit but will see how its going tommorrow and if need me have hubby build a little pen to put her in to get rid iof the broodines, She is such a sweet girl, I feel bad for her!!

I think the wire bottom cage works faster/better since it keeps their little broody backsides cooled down, but lots of people use dog crates or whatever they have handy with good results too.

The key to the whole thing is not to let them have anything (even dirt) that they can make a nest out of. My dd used to raise rabbits so the hutches are handy for me, but try whatever is easy for you and see if it works before going to a lot of trouble building something. My girls don't seem as commited to brooding this time of year and are much easier to break then they are in the spring/summer so hopefully your hen will be reasonable about things too.

ETA: If you're in my neck of the woods pm me and I'll let you borrow a hutch if you want. I have several that aren't in use right now.

Last edited:
Thank you all- Today she seems fine and is back out in the yard- I weonder of she was staying in the box to keep my EE'ers out, One started laying today and found it under an old dead log we keep in the yard for them to play in

They usually fluff up their feathers and sqawk at you or peck your hand if you try to take them out when broody. In case she does it again, if you have a small dog crate you can take the plastic bottom out. I set it on 4 bricks on the corners and it keeps her up off the floor so she can't make a nest and has air flowing under her butt for 3-4 days.

Back
Top Bottom