need some help with our broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jimmythechicken, Apr 28, 2011.

1. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    we have an old english hen she went broody last weds we gave her 6 eggs to set.then on sunday when she got up to eat we see she has 12-13 these are orp eggs pretty big.today she left those eggs an was setting on 2 new ones.the 12 other eggs were cold what should we do with the 12 other one throw them out put them in the bator?she is going to be out of luck till sunday we have to fill a 2-3 doz hatching egg order an sence she took 12 before we are a little behind.will she stay broody til sunday if we keep taking her eggs

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Id let her keep a few of the old eggs until you can get her new eggs. Seperate her into a cage with food and water so no other hens can lay in her nest. Then let her sit on the old eggs until you give her the eggs you want her to sit on. I usually give my broody "dummy eggs" until I've collected the eggs I want her to sit on. Just make sure the cage is big enough for her to get up and do her business and keep it clean and all should be well. If the eggs she was sitting on were failrly new ( like a day or so in) they may still be fine for her to keep. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by