1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

need some help with sex think it is pollish chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by little blue, Jul 29, 2010.

1. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    we only have this little one traded one of my 8 week old roos for him when he was 2 days old any guesses on sex or if i have the right breed.it is real pretty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    thanks for any help you can give [​IMG]

2. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Songster

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    I am not an expert but it definitely is a Polish. A golden laced polish to be exact. I have seen lots of pictures... I had a lotta people say mine was a Roo then 2 people gave me hope it may be a girl because there roo looked different. Then I found 1 that looked almost identicle to mine and its a hen....

I would guess female if I was basing it from mine. Here is a picture of mine:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is the website where I found a hen that looks like mine, you can see the Roo too... (scroll down to golden laced polish) most have a slicked back crest but 1 of them has the crazier crest...

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/polishpage.html

3. sred98

sred98 Songster

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Your Polish looks like a roo...? [​IMG] In the bottom pic it sure looks like saddle feathers. [​IMG] Also the head feathers are pointy on the ends, not fluffy and rounded. I think that both of you might have roos.

[​IMG]

Shelly

4. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Songster

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Can't help with the sex problem, but I think it is a hen. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I also think both of you have roos. Females have a much neater, almost tennis ball shaped crest, while males have the crazy all over crest. Either way, they are gorgeous birds!!

6. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Songster

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:LOL I was convinced it was a male and even have it as a roo on my signature but then 2 people said it may be a girl and showed pics of there males and I dont think mine could possible turn into looking anything like the golden laced polish roosters I have seen. BUT I could be wrong of course. haha

Then on the cackle hatchery link i posted, if you scroll down to the goldens there is a hen that looks like mine. I think...... I am a total newbie at this though so I dont know anything about saddle feathers or streamers or any of that so I dont know what to look for other then there comb and so I compare to others usually...

If it is a Roo when do you think it would start crowing? Would you say mine looks to be around 2 months old? I got "it" June 9th and it was a chick but I dont know how old. Here is a picture of it a little after I got it on June 9th...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  7. Quailfamah

Quailfamah Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    central maine
    i say roo, hens have nice uniform puffy poms on there heads

8. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka 8 Years

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm afraid I'm going with roo's, too. Even when a hen's crest is a bit thin, the feathers are blunt and rounded on the ends, not pointy.

9. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Give it about another 2 months or so. Our WC Chocolate started crowing last week and he is about 4-5 months. He sounded so pitiful at first, but it getting the hang of it now!

10. ra

ra Songster

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    I have one that had a great uniform puff hat then one day I went out and it had fallen foward into the rocker look! He was like 3months when that happend. Here he is now. I have to sell him, cant have a roo![​IMG]

Time will tell!

Here he is a little younger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: