Need some help with showing

farmgirl1995

Songster
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
Georgia:)
Hey all:) I would really really love to start showing chickens but I don't know where to start. I have shown pigs through FFA but I feel it may be time to branch out due to the fact that my ag teacher isn't exactly on the ball with this. She's a wonderful teacher and friend but this is her first year and she tends to do things on her own time and she takes her time doing it. I would really appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction with this. First off...I would like to show bantams. I am interested in golden sebrights. What needs to be done to prepare them for a show? Should I purchase more than one for show? Will eggs be judged? I will buy a copy of The Standard so I know what the judges look for. I've only been to a handful of chicken shows so I get the gist of what goes on, but having not done it myself I don't know anything about the behind the scenes stuff. How do the judges score the chickens? Is there a list of shows for GA and nearby states?

The first thing you need to do is go to a show!
I will be at one here up north, but they have a great page for newbies.
Here is the link http://www.poultrycongress.com/info.html
And
talk to people! Chicken people are very helpful.
The Sebrights is a pretty competitive (big) class from what I remember.
There can be egg classes, depends on the show, but that is separate from SOP.
The ABA had a new member special, the standard book, and new membership, I THINK it was $50.
Check out their website.
Good luck, and welcome!
Roberta

Quote:
The first thing that I would do is definitely make sure that this is the breed that you're going to want to stick with. I know that several breeders have told me that Sebrights are VERY difficult to hatch and raise and in order to win have to be just shy of perfect.

Once you find a breed that you want to work with, search the web. for good Show quality breeders and do NOT purchase from a hatchery. Usually breeders will be very helpful and will lead you in the right direction
smile.png

In my opinion the best thing to do as you start out is to find someone who is willing to help you and just shadow them at the shows and get some hands on experience because this REALLY helps alot
smile.png

I'm brand new too and am going to my first show February 4th in Dalton. I wish I had started when I was young, but at almost 50, it's better late than never. The people I have met have been very nice and have taken time with me and all my questions. I"m going mainly to have fun and learn and if I win anything that will be icing on the cake. I showed horses for many years and picked things up along the way. I figure I'll do the same with this.

Quote:
The first thing that I would do is definitely make sure that this is the breed that you're going to want to stick with. I know that several breeders have told me that Sebrights are VERY difficult to hatch and raise and in order to win have to be just shy of perfect.

Once you find a breed that you want to work with, search the web. for good Show quality breeders and do NOT purchase from a hatchery. Usually breeders will be very helpful and will lead you in the right direction
smile.png

In my opinion the best thing to do as you start out is to find someone who is willing to help you and just shadow them at the shows and get some hands on experience because this REALLY helps alot
smile.png

I would tend to agree about the Sebright, we raised them for many years and of all the breeds of birds I have ever had they are by far the hardest to raise. I along with many others we competed against had years that we would finish with the exact same birds we started with or fewer. Hatch 100-200 and only manage to raise 25-30.
as a beginner that is last breed I would suggest to get started with they can be very dissapointing for very well experienced breeders.

Back
Top Bottom