Need some help with swollen abdomen. Feeling really discouraged and dont know what to do.

CJS Flock

Songster
Jul 14, 2020
Hi all. I could really use some help. I’ve had my flock for nearly a year after having left my last one in another state. I never had issues with my last flock and this time I feel like a failure since I’ve had nothing but loss. I thought maybe it was how they were hatched/raised and they had all passed with different symptoms. I decided to only by hatchery chicks that would be vaccinated. Yesterday my six month old EE (from Meyers) was in the nesting box for nearly two hours. I thought she was trying to lay her first egg since I haven’t actually seen her lay yet. Then today she was just standing around and didn’t squat like she normally does when I talk to her. I picked her up and her abdomen felt really swollen. I brought her in and soaked her which she was not real interested in, gave her some crushed calcium made into a paste which I soaked bread in. I held her for a while, she was calm, let her dry and put her back out. I watched her peck a little but not at much other than the oyster shell. Fast forward a few hours, brought her back in since her abdomen felt even fuller. Soaked her, did the vent check and felt nothing, but she did poop or discharge something. I put her in chicken ICU. I just don’t know what else to do. Has anyone else had terrible luck with a flock? Any suggestions on what may be going on with her and what I can do? Posting pictures of her area and what came out. I have an olive egger who has been acting weird for a few weeks, stopped laying and has nasty green poop. It was recommended that I give her fish mox to see if there is an infection to clear up and if not it may be an internal laying issue. That should arrive tomorrow. I do everything I can for bio security, feed nutrena layer pellets, let them free range in a contained area, give probiotics twice a week, check for parasites daily (when I hold them), spray the coop once a week during cleaning with permethrin and am just disheartened that my ladies are getting sick. Please help. Thank you!

Attachments

• F63B7FDE-91FC-44F6-BC9B-143A729EE611.jpeg
    F63B7FDE-91FC-44F6-BC9B-143A729EE611.jpeg
    553.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 3ADA5A01-0AC1-4B73-BD49-DA7C1D3F3BAB.jpeg
    3ADA5A01-0AC1-4B73-BD49-DA7C1D3F3BAB.jpeg
    551.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 6BE51712-D1DA-41A1-B6DB-29746AA5C13F.jpeg
    6BE51712-D1DA-41A1-B6DB-29746AA5C13F.jpeg
    566.5 KB · Views: 5
  • B7D01E9F-A6D4-4122-8C63-63CB12113F3D.jpeg
    B7D01E9F-A6D4-4122-8C63-63CB12113F3D.jpeg
    478.3 KB · Views: 5
So sorry. :hugs Is a vet an option? That color poop looks like a possible bacterial infection and/or dehydration.
Thank you. I’m going to call in the morning and see if I can get her in to see the vet. Hopefully she makes it through the night. She looks worse tonight but is drinking and ate some scrambled egg.

Took her to the vet. She passed as they were starting the exam. She threw up and released from the back. Necropsy will be 250-300 if we send her to UT, so I won’t be doing that.

Back
Top Bottom