1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need some help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ashleyr, Oct 1, 2015.

1. ashleyr

ashleyr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2014
    Vermont
    I currently have a six week old chick in the house with me right now (momma abandoned the nest to be with the other chicks while she was still pipped). [​IMG]So, i brought her inside and helped her hatch out, and by the time she was strong enough to be with the other chicks, momma wanted nothing to do with her. She now spends a few hours a day outside with all my other hens and they all get along, but i bring her back inside for the night because I fear its too cold for her to keep herself warm all on her own. Its been getting down to the 30's at night. Will she be fine out there on her own? Does she maybe need a heat lamp? Any advice would be appreciated!! [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would try her out in the coop with the others, if she hunkers down with the others, and they let her sit next to them, she will be fine, if she's in a corner by herself than she's not ready yet, another 2-3 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by