Need some HELP!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blackswamp, Jan 24, 2013.

1. blackswamp

blackswamp Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    NW Ohio
    We plan on getting our first chicks this spring or sooner but I have no idea or plans on a coop. I'm no way a carpenter or builder. I wouldn't mind trying to build a coop but I can't find any plans I like. A lot of the stuff I see out there is to small for what I would like to have. I would like a run that I can get into (6ft tall) & a coop that I don't have to bend over to clean out.
    My question is there a book that has the actual plans & not some pretty pictures of coops in it. I'm just looking for some plans that are easy to understand for a non builder like myself.

Thanks
    Jeff

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
  3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
  4. Nikon

Nikon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    Nevada County, CA
    My Coop
    Yes, we based ours off of the Purina Mills plan. It's a good plan. We changed a few things, most noticeably taking the nesting box off of the front wall and relocating it to the side wall. Then putting a large reclaimed window above the pop door. We also moved the clean out door the other side wall and just had a top vent on the back wall with nothing else.

I made a photo tutorial of sorts of our coop adventures. It's ALMOST done. We are getting our "ladies" probably next week after the NorCal weather improves a bit. Here's a link to the tutorial:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750324/the-bed-breakfast-our-coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by