need some ideas about this........

griffinheather

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Alexandria, LA
I actually posted this in the behavior section, but felt I should move it here....

I've recently noticed the strangest behavior from several of my 5 week old silkie chicks. It almost looks like they're having a seizure. They hunker down, shake their head back-n-forth and it looks like their eyes glaze over. After a few seconds of doing that, they snap out of it and run around like all is well. I recently raised several bantie chicks in the same environment and they nver displayed this type of behavior. The only thing that I can think of is I recently used some cut-n-heal on my bantie hen where she was picking her wing. I noticed that tea tree oil is one of the ingredients and I read somewhere that some animals have a seizure like reactions to tea tree oil. I wash my hands but I can still smell a faint odor of it on my hands. What are ya'lls thoughts on this?

*Update*

When I stepped back into the room where I keep them, there were three chicks having this 'seizure' like action, it was more extreme w/ wings out spread and curled up toes. I immediantly (after scrubbing my hands and doning some socks, no rubber gloves) I put them into a brand new container w/ a new water and food dish on some paper towels. Now I have them outside to get some fresh air. They seem to be 'tired' but other wise they went right back to pecking. It's got to be something that I hand on my hands.......

*Another Update*

Well, I'm still seeing the seizure like action, but it's not as extreme as before, they do put up a hollering fit when it happens.....crazy I know, bless their hearts they're so little!

Back
Top Bottom