Need some ideas

farmerlogan

Hatching
May 13, 2015
Me and my wife just bought a house and was wanting to start raising some chickens. Maybe some pure breds something to just play with. I have always had chickens when I lived at my parents house but sold out a few years ago!
What I got is a old hog barn that's in very good shape! It has a tin roof that about 6ft high with styrofoam under the tin. It has concrete floors. There are six individual pins. The dividers that separate the pins are concrete and stand about 3 half tall. The pins are 10x10. The back is closed up about 3 half feet high as well but are boards. The rest of the sides and back are open but was going to just put wire to close it off. But what I was wondering what to put on the concrete sand pine shaving or what? Also will the chickens lay well with not a lot of direct sunlight? There is a lot of light but no direct sun. I was thinking about getting a few different breeds ofold English bantam to put in a couple of them maybe a trio per pin. Also how many large chickens will it hold? Any help is appreciated!! I probably want be able to do any free ranging but I may could build a run off the back. But not got a lot of room where it's at.

I would put down pine shavings for the floor, and are you going to let them out (like free ranging?) or keep them inside all the time, because if so then the laying I think will not be as good. and 10x10 what? feet? if so that's pretty large and should hold some amount per, but I completely recommend Old English but they do not come in different breeds instead different varieties (colours) and they come in around 9 standard and a rainbow of not standard. Old English game aren't that big so in a 10foot squared are you could fit maybe 6 comfortably. only problem with old English is if you get the old English bantams they lay Tiny eggs~

Thanks yea it's 10x10 feet! Yea I use to have a good many old English! Brassy backs, BB reds, gingers, and few more. I may can let them out some to free range. How many big chickens do you think it will hold?

6 or 8 old english in a 10x10 would be fine.pine shavings are the way to go they are easy to take up

Okay I may be posting this at the wrong place but does anyone know where I can some good birds from?

Good birds depends on where you are, a local feedmill or hatchery would be the best bet but most birds are 4-6$ per and aren't the BEST you can get, I would say if you really want to find some quality birds they would cost more (maybe not if you bought adult trio's or find some on craigslist) and be harder to find, just maybe post an ad on craigslist saying you are looking for quality oeg in your area~

Back
Top Bottom