Need some info about ducklings :D

Nectarine

Chirping
Sep 9, 2021
About 36-7 days ago I put eight muscovy eggs into an incubator and as unfortunate as it is only one hatched this morning (six were infertile and my family and I believe #7 died recently). I plan on fully helping my little duckling as her new mother and friend but I’d like to understand more about her:

1) How does imprinting work? I’ve seen things saying that ducklings imprint on the first thing that moves and others that say you have to be with them for at least five days before they imprint.
2) Can I have her in the same coop as my chickens? I have a small flock of six chickens and one rooster, none of which are aggressive but don’t exactly like human interaction. They live in a decent size coop that in my opinion has enough room for an extra duck when she’s grown but another worry is that my silkie is broody and is currently sitting on a load of eggs (possibly a dozen or a little less than) and we don’t know if they’ll hatch or not we’ll have to wait till the end of the month, will the new chicks make my chickens less likely to let a duck into their coop?
3) What are some clear signs that my duck is weary/uncomfortable/doesn’t like me? And what are some ways how I can change that?
4) Can I help with her drying/cleaning herself? She just hatched this morning and is currently drying/cleaning, she’s basically done but can’t get to her head there’s also a lump of died something under her wing I’d like to help her get off.
5) Are there any problems, medical or otherwise, that I should look out for?
6) What is some information you wish you knew when you first hatched ducklings? I’d love to know your experiences and if there’s anything I should know.

Sorry for the long post ;; there’s just some information that it’s best to get directly from someone with experience rather than articles.

2) Can I have her in the same coop as my chickens?
It is my opinion (no scientific studies done...), that when ducks are raised with chickens, as a chicken, is where things go wrong. If this duckling turns out to be male, and thinks it is a chicken... then he could hurt and even kill your hens by trying to breed them.

If the ducks raise the ducklings, and the chickens raise the chicks, then I find they know who they are, and can be in the same coop without any issues.

So... take home, I would buy a duckling, so you have two.

4) Can I help with her drying/cleaning herself? She just hatched this morning and is currently drying/cleaning, she’s basically done but can’t get to her head there’s also a lump of died something under her wing I’d like to help her get off.
yes, use some warm water, or a toothpick to clean off any stuck on stuff. A bit of wet paper towel can help soak and soften the guck. Make sure you put the duckling back into the incubator to warm back up and dry off after you clean him.
5) Are there any problems, medical or
If you don't have feed for ducklings, you can use chick feed, and sprinkle nutritional yeast (like what some people put on popcorn) over the feed.

1. Imprinting... eh... I know nothing,never paid attention. But my incubator hatched muscovy were happy to join with the flock when old enough.

3. Eh..... no idea. I would just make sure ducklings were comfortable, well fed, clean water, etc. When older I would treat train.

6. Nothing come to mind. :idunno muscovies are great ducks.

It is my opinion (no scientific studies done...), that when ducks are raised with chickens, as a chicken, is where things go wrong. If this duckling turns out to be male, and thinks it is a chicken... then he could hurt and even kill your hens by trying to breed them.

If the ducks raise the ducklings, and the chickens raise the chicks, then I find they know who they are, and can be in the same coop without any issues.

So... take home, I would buy a duckling, so you have two.

yes, use some warm water, or a toothpick to clean off any stuck on stuff. A bit of wet paper towel can help soak and soften the guck. Make sure you put the duckling back into the incubator to warm back up and dry off after you clean him.

If you don't have feed for ducklings, you can use chick feed, and sprinkle nutritional yeast (like what some people put on popcorn) over the feed.

1. Imprinting... eh... I know nothing,never paid attention. But my incubator hatched muscovy were happy to join with the flock when old enough.

3. Eh..... no idea. I would just make sure ducklings were comfortable, well fed, clean water, etc. When older I would treat train.

6. Nothing come to mind. :idunno muscovies are great ducks.
Thank you!! It’s been nine days now since she hatched and she’s lovely, she’s very energetic but when she tiers herself out she likes to sit on me, the only thing she doesn’t really like is when I pick her up to take her out or put her back in. She’s also eating and drinking properly, the only health concerns I have is her occasionally shaking her head or opening her mouth but it’s just often enough to notice so I’m not sure, her head shaking is a lot more prominent though and I’ve heard that it could be an infection.

Thank you!! It’s been nine days now since she hatched and she’s lovely, she’s very energetic but when she tiers herself out she likes to sit on me, the only thing she doesn’t really like is when I pick her up to take her out or put her back in. She’s also eating and drinking properly, the only health concerns I have is her occasionally shaking her head or opening her mouth but it’s just often enough to notice so I’m not sure, her head shaking is a lot more prominent though and I’ve heard that it could be an infection.
Not sure about the head shaking.

Is she getting enough niacin? Either in duckling feed, or nutritional yeast on chick feed?

If a female muscovy, you most likely won't have many issues with her living with chickens as my muscovy females are always housing with the chickens. It does get to be a bit much when they go broody though. The big problem would come if it were a male muscovy. He will most likely try to mate the chickens especially since he would be raised with them.
I have muscovy that shake their head occasionally and one does it more often and did so a lot when younger. I'm not sure if his is neurological, but he doesn't do it as much now that he's older.
If you post a video of the head shaking and mouth opening it would help for us to see what is going on. But, most duckling/gosling feeds have ample niacin.

My ducks live with my chickens. They have their own house but they prefer to sleep in the coop. I have all females, so it's been fine. My rooster doesn't bother them or try to mate with them, either. Everyone seems to know their species.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Muscovy owners: I read that it's good to have more than one Muscovy because they are a lil different than other ducks. All ducks prefer buddies, but I heard/read that Muscovies do best with other Muscovies.

Back
Top Bottom