Need some info about ducklings :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, Muscovy owners: I read that it's good to have more than one Muscovy because they are a lil different than other ducks. All ducks prefer buddies, but I heard/read that Muscovies do best with other Muscovies.
This is very true. But, it doesn't sound like they are getting another duck at the moment. I have a muscovy girl that prefers to hange with the chickens and not her muscovy pals. If the op was going to get another duck, my suggestion would be to find another muscovy.
Mallard derived ducks are even more messy than muscovy. 😁

Replying to you all ^
Thank you guys :D my little girl is only 10 days old and because I’m new at this I rather wait to sex her but if she were a drake primarily raised by me would she still harass the chickens? I also got my muscovy eggs from tafe so when I go back to school I’ll ask my ag teacher if she knows where I can buy a couple more friends for her :D and regarding the head shaking and mouth opening we’re going to the vets for our puppy today and I was told that I could bring my duckling along to see if she can get a checkup but I will take a video if I have my phone on me.

When we're fostering ducklings, we offer them shredded kale or silverbeet. Also, add a frozen cube of bloodworms to their water, which they absolutely love.

She'd be best off with a companion. If you aren't looking to get her a broodmate, I'd recommend a hand mirror and a plushie of some sort. They tend to fare better medically when raised with at least two others though.

Ducklings also do not come water-proof. You should be bathing her - daily if you can.

Fill a basin if warm water so it's just over her webbing and let her splash about for around 20 minutes. As she gets older, the bath can get deeper.

Let her dry herself on a towel afterwards.

Replying to you all ^
Thank you guys :D my little girl is only 10 days old and because I’m new at this I rather wait to sex her but if she were a drake primarily raised by me would she still harass the chickens? I also got my muscovy eggs from tafe so when I go back to school I’ll ask my ag teacher if she knows where I can buy a couple more friends for her :D and regarding the head shaking and mouth opening we’re going to the vets for our puppy today and I was told that I could bring my duckling along to see if she can get a checkup but I will take a video if I have my phone on me.
Yes. Even if you raise it. If it turns out to be a male he will want to mate with the chickens if he has no duck friends. I actually have to keep my drake away from my chickens because he was raised with them (actually beside them in a separate pen where everyone could see each other), he has girl ducks, and still wants to harass the chickens. The only time they are allowed together is if they are out free ranging and even then, I have to watch him. Sometimes he gets infatuated with one chicken for one reason or another.
At this point you have to wait to see what it turns out to be as it is too late to vent sex.

Here's a good write up on chickens and ducks living together.
https://backyardchickenchatter.com/can-ducks-live-in-a-coop-with-chickens/

From the article (caveat - I read through most of it and may not agree with some of it. I don't agree with the last paragraph here though as my rooster and drake wanted to fight all of the time - the drake being massive would have killed the rooster):

Drakes And Roosters​

Can ducks live in a coop with chickens and roosters? Keeping a mixed flock of ducks and chickens is generally peaceful if you have only females. But things get a little iffy once you start adding males to the mix. Too much testosterone can make them territorial, and there could be issues.

Can ducks and chickens mate? In short, the answer is no. Male ducks, called drakes, can pose a threat to hens during mating season. Ducks and chickens are not anatomically compatible when it comes to the mating process. And if your drakes try to mate with your hens, then it could hurt them.

Some people claim that if you keep plenty of females for both males, that the birds keep to themselves. The roosters will protect their hens from the drakes and vice versa. But if you want to breed ducks and chickens, you might want to get a separate duck and chicken coop.

Oh and - you will have plenty of time to figure it out and by the time you know if it's a male or female, you will be ready for a new plan. So, don't get too overwhelmed right now, just enjoy your duckling. I agree about putting a mirror and a stuffed animal in its brooder for now as it will get lonely when no one is around.

Last edited:
About 36-7 days ago I put eight muscovy eggs into an incubator and as unfortunate as it is only one hatched this morning (six were infertile and my family and I believe #7 died recently). I plan on fully helping my little duckling as her new mother and friend but I’d like to understand more about her:

1) How does imprinting work? I’ve seen things saying that ducklings imprint on the first thing that moves and others that say you have to be with them for at least five days before they imprint.
2) Can I have her in the same coop as my chickens? I have a small flock of six chickens and one rooster, none of which are aggressive but don’t exactly like human interaction. They live in a decent size coop that in my opinion has enough room for an extra duck when she’s grown but another worry is that my silkie is broody and is currently sitting on a load of eggs (possibly a dozen or a little less than) and we don’t know if they’ll hatch or not we’ll have to wait till the end of the month, will the new chicks make my chickens less likely to let a duck into their coop?
3) What are some clear signs that my duck is weary/uncomfortable/doesn’t like me? And what are some ways how I can change that?
4) Can I help with her drying/cleaning herself? She just hatched this morning and is currently drying/cleaning, she’s basically done but can’t get to her head there’s also a lump of died something under her wing I’d like to help her get off.
5) Are there any problems, medical or otherwise, that I should look out for?
6) What is some information you wish you knew when you first hatched ducklings? I’d love to know your experiences and if there’s anything I should know.

Sorry for the long post ;; there’s just some information that it’s best to get directly from someone with experience rather than articles.
Imprinting idk but I keep my ducks and chickens together with no issues they will either like you or not we handled ours alot and ours will let you walk over and pick them up yes you can help but not too much

My ducks live with my chickens. They have their own house but they prefer to sleep in the coop. I have all females, so it's been fine. My rooster doesn't bother them or try to mate with them, either. Everyone seems to know their species.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Muscovy owners: I read that it's good to have more than one Muscovy because they are a lil different than other ducks. All ducks prefer buddies, but I heard/read that Muscovies do best with other Muscovies.
I have heard this too and that is the reason I bought two siblings. They are 10 weeks old and I am still trying to figure out if they are drakes or hens. They both trill and don't hiss but one is a lot bigger than the sibling. I can't do pictures. Mine stick together like glue in the large pen with my Mallards and Rouens. They do speak a different language but all get along fine.

I have heard this too and that is the reason I bought two siblings. They are 10 weeks old and I am still trying to figure out if they are drakes or hens. They both trill and don't hiss but one is a lot bigger than the sibling. I can't do pictures. Mine stick together like glue in the large pen with my Mallards and Rouens. They do speak a different language but all get along fine.
On the male his face slopes up from the bill to the forehead.

On the female the transition from bill to forehead is much closer to a 90 degree turn.

But the size difference is huge. So since you said one is much larger than the other, you probably have a pair.

Also, the male tends to get the caruncles first.

Back
Top Bottom