Need some input, RIR hen still not doing well

Unfortunately, it does sound like she is suffering from a reproductive disorder. Salpingitis and internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, and cancer are all common in hens over two. It is really hard to pinpoint exactly what is wrong until a necropsy is performed after they die, unfortunately. Antibiotics may or may or may not help, but worth a try to try and extend her life. Try to keep her eating by offering her usual feed, possibly mixed with a little water, and offering a little scrambled egg or tuna for interest.

Do you think that she might feel better to get back to her flock? Most hens with EYP and other problems, may just enjoy hanging out with the others. I keep them with the flock, unless they start to get picked on or pecked. That is when I decide to cull. Many hens with EYP can have crop disorders, so make sure that her crop is emptying overnight.

She's been going out daily with the rest of the flock, though after a few minutes she does just go and lie down under the tree. She's also been getting mealworms and cat food, both of which she likes.

Thank you for your thoughts, I suspect I'll be saying goodbye to her today or tomorrow. She's been such a good hen, and my most reliable layer.

Back
Top Bottom