Hen sick for 36ish hours. Pooped out a large bloody wadded up piece of paper this morning.

Trombygirl

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 23, 2015
I noticed my hen lethargic, not eating, and with a drippy/pasty butt the night before last. Her crop was weird and squishy so I thought it was maybe sour crop. I separated her and withheld food and was looking into the next step. When I checked on her this morning, she had pooped a fairly large piece of paper. It reminded me of a lense cleaning wipe. It was bloody and she was a little more alert, but still seemed out of it. I cant imagine it felt great. I put her in the tub and cleaned her up bc her feathers around her vent were a dried clumped up mess. Now that she is clean, her vent is a little puffy but seems mostly intact and generally normal. She is still pretty lethargic and doesnt want to eat or drink. She will stand, but has her eyes closed most of thr time. I was thinking of giving her some coconut oil to maybe help lubricate residual irritation from the inside, but I wanted to ask here first incase I should do something different. I'm concerned about potiential damage done (internally) by the paper. Her crop is still squishy and has stuff in it even though she hasn't eaten. I'm still also considering further treatment for sour crop. What do you all think?

I would dip her beak into some sugar water or electrolyte water, Gatorade, Pedialyte, etc. Try to get her drinking at least, or drop some on the side of her beak. Be careful not to give more than 1/2 ml before letting her swallow. What have you been feeding, and did she have granite poultry grit to help with digestion?

I would give her some electrolyte water and the coconut oil and wait a few hours before treating for sour crop to see how she's doing on what you gave her. I doubt there's any internal damage, but things could be a bit irritated and need time to settle down.

Back
Top Bottom