Harry Lineker

Hatching
Jul 14, 2022
Hi there, my 2.5yr old Speckledy has signs of coccidiosis, she is lethargic, ruffled feathers, not enjoying treats like worms etc. She IS drinking and eating a little bit but her crop is never full (always feel a few pellets in there).

On Tuesday 26th March i found her with a really bloody vent (dripping). She had passed an egg and it had cracked over her bum, so i assumed my other hens had pecked at her causing the blood, i bathed her to find no cuts or marks.

So on Thursday 28th March i received some Harkers Coxoid from Amazon. I dosed the water with the solution and ensured all 8 of my hens had no access to any other water.

So far, the blood has stopped from her, however her poop is really watery, i assume due to the decrease in solid food being passed.

She is drinking a lot and putting herself to bed earlier than the others. Ive given scrambled eggs, natural yoghurt and some pellets to her which she is eating.

No signs among the other birds, some poop is showing a reddish hint so im keeping my eye out.

Have i past the worst of it or due to her being the same condition (7days on) a sign she will not make it? I know its easy to think the worst of these things, especially with the amount of information out there.

Note: Im in the UK, have a mixed range of ages among the flock. The sick hen has some mites on her legs but over the years as ive owned hens, this amount does not cause any issues, ive dusted the coop with diatomaceous earth & put it in there dust bath.

Ive got another 2 days of medication to run (7days total). Should i buy some Amprolium? (Wish i bought that in the first place as it seems better than Harkers Coxoid). Im also withdrawing all eggs for 28days, read mixed things on withdrawal so playing it safe.

Thanks for any guidance / hopefully putting my mind at ease!

I use the amprolium medication when I am concerned about coccidiosis and I don’t withhold eggs. I think better safe than sorry when it comes to treating for coccidiosis especially if you’ve had wet conditions and you keep your flock on the same earth all the time.

Is she still laying eggs? Are the shells properly formed?

Castor oil or petroleum jelly on the legs once a week is a good preventative for scaly leg mites. Also change the bedding in your coop and nest boxes more regularly.

Thanks, are you in the Uk? If so where is best for Amprolium, ive found it online for £12.50 plus £5 delivery.

She doesnt have scaly leg mites, but your typical mites that are at the base of the feathers, bedding is cleaned everyday of poop and swapped completely every week.

Chicks are under a roof with wood chip & earth mix so very rarely wet.

Thanks, are you in the Uk? If so where is best for Amprolium, ive found it online for £12.50 plus £5 delivery.

She doesnt have scaly leg mites, but your typical mites that are at the base of the feathers, bedding is cleaned everyday of poop and swapped completely every week.

Chicks are under a roof with wood chip & earth mix so very rarely wet.

I’m in Australia sorry so I can’t be of help with respect to products.

You need to address the mites issue. Healthy birds do not have parasites. It could just as easily be the mites making her ill as something like coccidiosis.

Does she still lay eggs or is she having trouble? Are her comb and wattles red or pale?

Do you worm them as well?

Back
Top Bottom