Need some opinions on my silkie babys.

DesireGrey

Hatching
7 Years
May 5, 2012
So we saved a silkie rooster from a pet store and gave him his own little section because we already have a rooster for our main girls. It's next to the main shed and he kept perching on the side trying to get close to the others. We took pity and went out to get him his own girls with the idea we could breed them and make some money. We went to this breeder (lovely guy) and bought four suposedly six week old hens. He didn't garentee the sex, but said we could swap if one did turn out to be a rooster. We took them home and two days later found one dead. It turned out being our own ignorance about cocydiosis that killed it. The breeder was nice enough to give us another one to replace it.

Now they're supposed to be around 8-9 weeks of age but are really quite small. We're a bit worried about introducing them to the rooster because they are so small. So when do you think we should?

At the start we had two six week old chicks and two four week, and the size difference was noticeble. In the last week one of the younger ones had a growth spurt and is now even size with the older ones, but the other one is still laging behind.

Today I had a look at them all and the younger one that grew, it's nobby bit on the beak is about twice the size as the others, is it right to assume it's a rooster?

Sorry for rambling but any opinion is welcome and appreciated =)

Sorry, I'm not clued up about silkies, so I can't help you sex them. Why don't you post a pic under "What breed/gender is this"? Someone there will probably be able to advice you on their age as well.
I'd say they are a bit young to go with the rooster. He might jump them and hurt one. Wait until they are around 15-16 weeks old or, if you're unsure about their age, until they are more or less the same size as him. Hens usually start laying around 18 weeks, so they will have time to get used to him then.

Back
Top Bottom