Need some opinions please...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kyrose, Mar 23, 2013.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Hello,i have 6 4 week olds that went out to the grow out coop last week.They are LF,production reds and not sure what the others are.Its 3 1/2x5x6 insulated(except the roof)and i put a 250 watt and 100 watt heat bulbs in with them.We have had some pretty cold weather here so im wondering when is a good time to start backing off some of the heat.When its sunny i turn off the 250 during the day. but put it back on at night.It will be 30 tonight,but is dropping down to about 25 later this week,with daytime temps of mid 30's.So i would appreciate some advice.Thanks in advance for any help...

2. 12chickens

12chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    Minnesota
    Just allow them access to heat. That way if they get cold they can warm up. A month old is not that old.my two month olds still use mom to keep them warm my adult chickens even enjoy laying all spread out under the heat lamp. They will let you know when you can stop providing heat because they will spend less time under it or ignore it. Once they have all there feathers a regular light bulb in the lamp is sufficient with mine. But then again the weather should be warmer then 30's for the young ones

3. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine (also production reds & a few EEs) stopped using heat at about 6.5 weeks (same cold weather) and now they are running around outside in the snow and it has been teen nights and 20F days. They are 8 weeks. Hope this helps.

4. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Thanks for the replys.I hate using the 250 bulb because of fires,but im afraid the 100 wont be enough...

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Just secure it really well without using the cheapo hanger that comes with it. I like to double secure the lamps if possible, and I agree to give them the 250 until they are completely feathered.

6. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Usually fully feathered by 6 weeks,is that right?

7. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

depends on the bird but for the most part they have what they need to handle cold weather by that age yes.

8. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Thanks so much.Maybe the weather will get back to normal soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by