need some quick numbers, dogs attacked and killed my purebred tuxedos, I need some numbers for the c

zhinka

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 1, 2011
It has been awhile since I posted in here, we have moved to a new house after losing our other one to a tornado,unfortunately this area is home to alot of stray dogs.
They just came in last night and busted thru the window of the coop and got hold of my quail, alot were injured but 2 were ripped apart.
I lost two purebred tuxedo quail hens, these were year old good layers. One was perfectly marked, the other had a stray dark feather marring the tuxedo.
The cops told me to get some numbers on what it would cost to replace these purebred laying hens, including the cost of shipping.
These were my personal pets, they were literally ripped apart by these dogs,but I cannot press charges until I can tell the cops what it costs to completely replace the adult hens.
I am supposed to let them know by Saturday morning so I totally do appreciate any help!!

I am so sorry for your loss. I dont know the numbers but I am shure somoeone that does will be on to help soon. Do they want jsut hte price of the birds or are they includeing damage to the coop, and the cost of what it took to raise the birds as well with labor and feed and all that?

they will cover is the replacement and shipping cost of the birds.
They will cover the cost to fix the coop because I luckily still had recepits from when my husband redid the coop when we moved in.
I told them that these were my pets and were not going to be butchered but were my personal favorites that is why they were in the special building,but the cops said that didnt matter.
I lost 2 more as of tonight.
I dont know what to do, Killdeer Vet service refused treatment because they said they didnt treat wild birds, I told them that they are not wild birds but domestic,but the idiot vet refused to listen.
Anyone have any suggestions on what to put on the ones still alive?
There is one with most of the skin on his head torn loose,I used some suture glue to hold the flap down, I left room for drainage but I dont know what else to do?
One hen has had the whole lower half of her right wing ripped off, it looks like it got torn off clean at the joint but since the vet refuses to treat the birds or help I dont know what to do for her? I packed in some sterile clotting wound solution because it was bleeding pretty heavily and I put some vet wrap around what was left with some thick gauze so she cant flap it.
I just feel so upset, we are contacting a lawyer in the morning but if anyone has ideas on how to treat the birds I will be so very happy to listen!

aww im so sorry . hopefully someone that knows can answer soon. I would guess you could put a bit of antiboitc oinment on the wounds you know they cant reach to preen. keep them warm and have food and water close besides that I dont know. Id sugest asking for at least 15-25 per bird but I dont know

I gotta agree with Cva34 here.... The cost of the birds is not what jumps out at me here. . Its the fact that these dogs are outta control and returned to a "pack" life style. Sounds like their getting bold and aggressive. The three "S" rule would sure come into play. You have every legal right to protect your property. The police would likely tell you this if asked directly.... Cant help you with value either. But I always have box traps and foot traps set under and around my pens.... Any animal caught around my birds or rabbits, gets no second chance. Ask no questions, make no apologies.... Matter of principal! Bill

Last edited:
I don't know of any Tuxedo Breeders for sale. You could check the Buy-Sell-Trade Forum to see if any one is selling any. For 6 breeders of Texas A&M or Jumbo Brown I have seen them asking $90 which included shipping. Two day shipping is probably about $20 or more and the quality/rarity of your birds would probably add to the cost and value.

I agree with the Shoot', "Shovel' and "Shut up" approach to the dog situation. If they attacked once and got the taste they will do it again. We have the right to defend our livestock and property and the dogs owners have the responsibility to control and care for their animals. If they fail in that, then you must step up and eliminate the threat to your pets & responsibilities. Too many irresponsible owners are letting their dogs run wild then get upset if someone tries to tell them to control their dogs or to control them by protecting their property and livestock.

DD

Sorry for your losses!

I agree with Fat Daddy, 3S those stupid dogs!

With the ones that have been injured and your vet didn't take care...take a close look at them, if it's some injuries that a product called blu kote won't fix, with the little birds the most humane thing is to end their suffering. IMO...just had some predator losses myself recently so understand your wanting to help.

With tuxedos...there is no such thing as a "pure breed" tux. Pure would mean that 100% of the time, 100% of the offspring would look like the parents. With a tuxedo, you are guaranteed 50% of the offspring would be tux, 25% would be the same as the base color and 25% would be white.

Due to shipping cost, it would be cost prohibitive to ship live birds unless you are getting a quantity....$5 for a bird plus $10 bucks for the box and $60+ shipping and handling, that coturnix would be worth it's weight in gold. Incubating eggs might be your best solution, then you can bond with a chick from the beginning ...with eggs just a reminder, anyone selling you tux eggs and guarantee they will all be tux is pulling your leg, so be cautious.

Wish you the best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom