Dog attack, severely injured hen need advice

Janscaper

Hatching
Aug 19, 2023
First tine chicken keeper-sorry for long post. My dogs got ahold of one of my young hens and i managed to get her away before they killed her. However, she appeared to be severly injured. No puncture wounds but some skin missing and all feathers on her back and under wings and several vicious looking wounds. Here is what Ive done:
Day 1-saline flush on all wounds, treated w vetericyn and neosporin. Isolated in dog kennel in coop. She seemed to be in shock, fluffed up but drinking water and eating.
Day 2- drinking and eating, treated wounds again asked vet for antibiotic to put in water. Added electrolytes to water as well. Laid an egg. Pooping fine.
Day 3- still holding her own, but became concered about wounds being so extensive. Took her to the vet. Vet washed her down w betadyne scub and told me she "could" make it but since she had wounds over 30% of her body that in itself was hard to come back from. Dispatched me with betadyne for daily wash, and cover w Manuka honey, amoxicillion 2xday and meloxicam for pain. Since we are in Texas bought her in the house to eliminate heat stress. Drinking water but not eating. Started syringe feeding w mashed chick starter, yogurt, pumpkin w electrolyte water 2x day. She seems to have a big will to live but I see she is in alot of pain when handling. She seems really hot.
Day 4-wash, treat and feed. She sleeps alot -around the clock. noticing she is having trouble keeping legs under. Saw her drinking water. Very little moving around. Poop is watery. She is no longer hot though. Expecting she will die but she hangs in. Her legs look green. Doesn't keep her eyes open except when swallowing. Alert to noises.
Day 5- she seems weaker, but takes food, water and meds for me. No wash today, she can't stand. Treat wounds which have mostly all scabbed over. She sleeps around the clock, on her side with legs out not under. Doesn't move around.
Day 5, wash,treat and feed. Seems weaker. Doesn't move in pen. Legs still out to the side.
Day 6- today very frail. Cannot hold head up to eat. No poop last night.Treat wounds w honey. Managed to get meds and food. She seems to have slight issue swallowing. Has not moved in pen. I keep expecting she might die but still breathing.

I am not sure what to do at this point! I am very upset for her and not sure if this is a normal progression for a severe injury? Do they need alot of recovery time like humans with days and days of sleeping? Should I keep with the routine? Is she slowly dying?I've attached pic of original injury and wounds are under wings and top of neck as well and what she looks like today. Vet had said to bring her back in a week. Thanks for advice.

Attachments

• 20230813_191452.jpg
    20230813_191452.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 20230818_204025.jpg
    20230818_204025.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 45
First tine chicken keeper-sorry for long post. My dogs got ahold of one of my young hens and i managed to get her away before they killed her. However, she appeared to be severly injured. No puncture wounds but some skin missing and all feathers on her back and under wings and several vicious looking wounds. Here is what Ive done:
Day 1-saline flush on all wounds, treated w vetericyn and neosporin. Isolated in dog kennel in coop. She seemed to be in shock, fluffed up but drinking water and eating.
Day 2- drinking and eating, treated wounds again asked vet for antibiotic to put in water. Added electrolytes to water as well. Laid an egg. Pooping fine.
Day 3- still holding her own, but became concered about wounds being so extensive. Took her to the vet. Vet washed her down w betadyne scub and told me she "could" make it but since she had wounds over 30% of her body that in itself was hard to come back from. Dispatched me with betadyne for daily wash, and cover w Manuka honey, amoxicillion 2xday and meloxicam for pain. Since we are in Texas bought her in the house to eliminate heat stress. Drinking water but not eating. Started syringe feeding w mashed chick starter, yogurt, pumpkin w electrolyte water 2x day. She seems to have a big will to live but I see she is in alot of pain when handling. She seems really hot.
Day 4-wash, treat and feed. She sleeps alot -around the clock. noticing she is having trouble keeping legs under. Saw her drinking water. Very little moving around. Poop is watery. She is no longer hot though. Expecting she will die but she hangs in. Her legs look green. Doesn't keep her eyes open except when swallowing. Alert to noises.
Day 5- she seems weaker, but takes food, water and meds for me. No wash today, she can't stand. Treat wounds which have mostly all scabbed over. She sleeps around the clock, on her side with legs out not under. Doesn't move around.
Day 5, wash,treat and feed. Seems weaker. Doesn't move in pen. Legs still out to the side.
Day 6- today very frail. Cannot hold head up to eat. No poop last night.Treat wounds w honey. Managed to get meds and food. She seems to have slight issue swallowing. Has not moved in pen. I keep expecting she might die but still breathing.

I am not sure what to do at this point! I am very upset for her and not sure if this is a normal progression for a severe injury? Do they need alot of recovery time like humans with days and days of sleeping? Should I keep with the routine? Is she slowly dying?I've attached pic of original injury and wounds are under wings and top of neck as well and what she looks like today. Vet had said to bring her back in a week. Thanks for advice.
Can’t offer anymore advice then what you are already doing. Up to her now. Our small pullet hen Little Bit was in a death clutch of a snake. I fought for and got her free. The mrs nursed her and thank goodness she eventually pulled through. But all we can do is wait and hope they don’t give up the fight.

Can’t offer anymore advice then what you are already doing. Up to her now. Our small pullet hen Little Bit was in a death clutch of a snake. I fought for and got her free. The mrs nursed her and thank goodness she eventually pulled through. But all we can do is wait and hope they don’t give up the fight.
Thanks and ok 👍

I'm so very sorry for your loss, you did everything possible for her, and it's really sad. Likely internal injuries, very difficult to manage because birds don't handle anesthesia well, making repairs almost impossible.
It takes a lot of time and effort to convince most dogs, especially in a pack situation, that your chickens are not to be touched. Total separation is necessary!
Again, so sorry.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom