Need some suggestions with new chicks please

Mrs.Yardbird

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 4, 2008
Panhandle of Texas
Two weeks ago, my husband and I ordered 25 rainbow layers from McMurray's and got a *rare* as well. No problems there all 26 are doing wonderful and growing so big!

My issue is, these birds, no matter what, run and chirp at the top of their lungs when we go to check on them, handle them, feed them, water them...walk out into the garage to get in the car to go to work....you name it, they hate us! I feel so bad when I finally catch one because she's just panting her little heart out and chirping so loud it sounds like she's screaming. So I freak out and just put her back and just watch them.

We are doing EXACTLY the same thing we did with the order of meat and egg layers that my hubby ordered at the start of summer. The only difference is, we have the brooder in the garage now instead of out in the coop like we did with the first batch. They are going to be put into the coop brooder to get introduced to our 8 hens we have next week.

Wow, after all that rambling I forgot to ask my question, so sorry!
My question is: Is there a reason these birds are so skittish? And is there anything I can do to make them nice and friendly like our other girls?

(I don't mean I want to be able to pick them up and carry them around and stuff, but just to where they don't freak out on me when I want to feed/water/check on them)

Thank you for any help.

I think you are doing just fine.
smile.png

Different personalties for different breeds and for each individual chick. Sometimes the excitement of a few is contagious to the otherwise quieter ones.
We ordered 25 brown egg layers and just for fun 25 bantams. Boy what a mix of personalities there. Some would run right up to the fence wanting your attention and others would not come up to the fence of the brooder pen for any kind of inticement we'd offer.
I think your Rainbow Layers are just a little more "High Spirited" than your meat and egg bunch.
frow.gif

Sometimes when the weather turns they seem more freaked out to me than chcks started when it is hot out. What's your weather like?
When they are too cool they are a lot louder. You could check their lamp and heating/temp; turn it up a bit and see if that helps.

Other than that, chickens are just a bunch of hysterics. Sometimes it seems all it takes is one or two to make a predator alert and everyone else is nuts for half an hour. The whole Chicken Little story - "the sky is falling"- didn't come out of nowhere I guess!

Patandchickens recently posted a hilarious story on this subject, regarding ceiling fans. Do search it!

Hope they calm down for you.

Thank you guys. Our weather is nice and mid 80's. In the garage it's a nice 90 degrees for the babies. I hope they calm down too. There is nothing better than going out to my big girls and have them come running to gate to meet me and peck at my pants or shoes till I stop and pet them....Hope the little ones come around! Also I had noticed it's about 5 of them that start the freaking out and the rest just join. The only one that lets u pet it because it says so is one of the black stars. And that's only after all the rest are huddled in the corner of the brooder screaming at me lol.

Hi, We had three groups of chicks hatch this summer. The last was the largest (16 buff orpingtons) and the most skittish. I wondered what was going on too. Well it turns out after the last group was finally let out to free range they turn out to be the tamest of all! Go figure.

So now you know about Big Scary Hand. Ours ran everytime we came near them. After a ccouple weeks they were fine once we got them out. Yesterday we moved them to their own space in the coop where they up higher and can see us instead of the inside of a box and now they run up to the wire to get at us! It made all the difference.

Thank you guys for your help. Tomorrow it's supposed to be 87 degrees here so I'll try catching a few (poor little panting things!) and taking them outside. Hubby thinks we should go ahead and put them in the brooder in the coop. It's a nice big brooder so that the big girls and the new ones can get to know each other without touching for a bit hehe. He said that hopefully they will calm down that way by seeing us handle the big girls.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom