Need someone's knowledge with duck eggs....

chickenlovefever

Songster
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
Hi,
I'm a soon to be duck owner who is about to place an order on some saxony and welsh harlequin ducklings from holderreads for exhibition and breed conservancy. I have this one little thing on my mind that I figured I ask before I go and place an order. How are duck eggs? From what I have learned, welsh harlequins and saxonies are pretty decent layers and I would be getting a few eggs a day from ducks. I heard that the eggs are good for baking-what about just straight eating? Are duck eggs healthier than chickens eggs? What about taste?
I would also appreciate any tips or helpful hints with ducks.
Thanks!

I don't cook with mine since I hatch them all out... but someone told me they make an Excellent Keiche.

And I know people with egg allergies can eat the duck eggs for some reason. So I'll subscribe to this thread and see what others have to say!

Here is some excellent info, and congrats on your new ducks before hand, I have eaten duck eggs scrambled and i like them but i love to bake with them, maybe if i didn't have chickens I would eat more of my ducks eggs, but they really don't taste that much different than chicken eggs to me. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/647999/tips-for-the-new-duck-owner

I love the taste of duck eggs any way they are prepared. Omelets, fried, scrambled, poached, boiled, in baked goods . . . try an egg foo yong recipe with them. Mmmmmmm.

Yes, there are people who don't like the taste, just as (from what I hear) there are those who don't adore the taste of chocolate. Such mysteries!
hu.gif

They don't taste very good and I love eggs.

You should try switching your ducks to a different feed.

My duck eggs had always tasted really good- basically the same as chicken eggs, only stronger and creamier. Around the same time my duck went into her first molt, I switched to a locally-made feed because I figured it was fresher than the stuff I'd been getting from tractor supply. When she started laying again, the eggs were TERRIBLE. They almost had a rotten, fishy taste. It took me a while to put two and two together and realize that it was the feed. When I switched back to the flock raiser from tractor supply, the eggs were delicious again!

I don't know if some feeds have an ingredient that makes duck eggs taste terrible, or if my particular duck has a problem digesting something in this one particular type of feed, but whenever I hear someone say they don't like the taste of duck eggs I wonder if this is why.

Also, to answer the original question - I love duck eggs any way you can cook them. I even think hard-boiled is delicious and I've heard people say that they're no good hard-boiled. I don't think they're all that different from chicken eggs, to be honest. I do think I'm mildly allergic to them, though, because whenever I eat them fried I get the WORST stomach ache in the entire world. But sometimes I eat them anyway because they're so good!

Duck eggs are excellent as long as the ducks are not eating a bunch of stuff from the bottom of a pond, in which case they can taste fishy.

They have more cholesterol than chicken eggs, but if you look at the actual scientific research and not the cultural hype, that's not a bad thing as far as health goes. They are usually larger than chicken eggs, so adjust recipes accordingly. We love our duck eggs, and eat them preferentially over chicken eggs. The texture of a perfectly poached duck egg is sublime.

Not to hijack this thread, but when adjusting a recipe, how much do you adjust? Is an average duck egg about twice an average chicken egg?

^great question, was wondering that too. And thank all y'all for the wisdom. I know a friend who cooked duck eggs for her husband one morning fried, he thought they were chicken eggs, and he was sick all day and a while after that. That kind of detered me from duck eggs for consumption.

Back
Top Bottom