Need something to line coop floor....

I agree, you could get a piece of remnant linoleum/vinyl at a box store, maybe even left over from a flooring store, given the holes/cracks are 1/4 inch or smaller. Or, to be extra safe (maybe overkill), you could staple 1/4 inch hardware cloth to the inside of the floor, then lay a luon/thin plywood over the hardware cloth. That way the birds wouldn't get their feet caught on the hardware cloth or staples.
We just finished our coop construction and we put linoleum down for the coop floor and love it. I can tell already that it is going to be the easiest to clean come any time needed for deep cleaning for the big clean outs. We are doing the deep liter method and using roost and poop boards with linoleum on the poop boards also. It’s a breeze and with PDZ and the wood shavings there is little smell and little work. Now I only have nine hens and only plan for a 12 maximum hen load in our coop but we have room for many more yet we do not ever want crowding. Won’t have it. Not fair to them. The linoleum is the way to go though. The poop dries on it and scraped right off. Just slides away like a grilled cheese sandwich out of a non-stick skillet. Good stuff and super cheep. You can get it for around $9.50 a square foot. Then we just stapled it down or nailed it down with air gun.

That would be awesome, but I can't for the life of me cut straight with my skill saw! So I was hoping to have something that was easy to cut, and more form fitting lol! 😆
For your skill saw try this, it works every time. Measure the dimensions you need, measure the distance from your blade to the safety rim, add these together, clamp a piece of wood onto the plywood for those measurements. Run the skill saw against the clamped piece of wood to get a straight cut every time!

I got some of those rubber mats from Home Depot to put on the floor of my duck house since ducks like to make a giant mess. I grab the edges and kind of fold it up, pop it in the wheelbarrow, and off we go to the compost pile. Easy to clean, I just hose them off and let them dry in the sun. I also use the pine pellets and they’re a life saver with the messy ducks. :)

However what I did for my floor was plywood and then several coats of rubber.
So when I clean I can just hose it all out and let it dry

We just finished our coop construction and we put linoleum down for the coop floor and love it. I can tell already that it is going to be the easiest to clean come any time needed for deep cleaning for the big clean outs. We are doing the deep liter method and using roost and poop boards with linoleum on the poop boards also. It’s a breeze and with PDZ and the wood shavings there is little smell and little work. Now I only have nine hens and only plan for a 12 maximum hen load in our coop but we have room for many more yet we do not ever want crowding. Won’t have it. Not fair to them. The linoleum is the way to go though. The poop dries on it and scraped right off. Just slides away like a grilled cheese sandwich out of a non-stick skillet. Good stuff and super cheep. You can get it for around $9.50 a square foot. Then we just stapled it down or nailed it down with air gun.
Thanks! definitely leaning towards this one since there's so many recommendations for it!

I have eight 9-week old birds. on 16 sqft floor space, I may have to give two away when they're full grown... we'll see :(
For your skill saw try this, it works every time. Measure the dimensions you need, measure the distance from your blade to the safety rim, add these together, clamp a piece of wood onto the plywood for those measurements. Run the skill saw against the clamped piece of wood to get a straight cut every time!

Sorry, I may sound totally dumb...(I've never used a skill saw before this coop!)
...but which side should the guide be on? the blade side or the motor side?

However what I did for my floor was plywood and then several coats of rubber.
So when I clean I can just hose it all out and let it dry

Thanks for the tip!

Thanks! definitely leaning towards this one since there's so many recommendations for it!

I have eight 9-week old birds. on 16 sqft floor space, I may have to give two away when they're full grown... we'll see :(

Sorry, I may sound totally dumb...(I've never used a skill saw before this coop!)
...but which side should the guide be on? the blade side or the motor side?

Thanks for the tip!

I always do the blade side just because sometimes the board I have handy is too thick for the motor side.

Back
Top Bottom