Need suggestion on letting the chickens out in a controlled run

Toothpick

Songster
7 Years
Aug 15, 2016
TN
Now that it’s winter the chicken run is basically mud. Void of grass. So during the day I’d like to have the option to let the chickens out in the yard for that fresh grass and bugs. BUT, they can’t be free roaming because the dog would never leave them alone. So I need some type of mobile enclosed chicken run.

I’m thinking something I can butt up against the run door that they can go in to which would allow them access to the fresh grass but keep them contained. Then as it got dark they just mosey on back in the run and coop.

I’m also considering something that once they are all in, I can secure the door and move it around the yard. Then in the evening butt it back up against the run door and in they go.

I’ve got about 15 chickens so it would probably have to be pretty big to accommodate. Not sure if this idea is even possible or feasible considering it would have to be about a 150sq ft mobile chicken run.

But I’m willing to hear suggestions and make it work if possible. I don’t really want to expand the run because let’s face it….whatever the size is will be nothing but mud in a month unless they have free reign of the entire 3 acres....
I don’t have many options for the deep liter method either unless I simply buy a bunch of mulch and toss in there. Moving everything is not an option.

This is an older picture but that’s the gate. Thanks for the feedback/suggestions!

02B38100-CC0E-4D94-8833-C41938115CA2.jpeg

You don't manage a tractor the same way you do a fixed coop and run. You don't need as much room in one but you do need to move it often. How often depends on its size, your number of chickens, and your weather. 15 chickens are a lot for this.

I have no idea where you are located so I don't have a clue as to how much grass and bugs you will have in winter. Tractors don't work that well in snow.

My suggestion is to consider electric netting to give them an area where they will be safe from ground based predators. It does not help against flying predators. How big of an area you need to maintain grass depends on your number of chickens and your weather. In Northwest Arkansas I had an area about 45' x 65' inside netting. In summer I sometimes had over 50 chickens but most were younger growing to butcher age. In winter I'd have maybe 9 adult chickens. When the grass stopped growing in winter some areas where they liked to hang out got stripped but most of it did not. When the weather changed in spring and grass started growing I'd keep them in the main run for a week to give the grass a chance to get established. I'd have to mow it 3 or 4 times a season as the weeds they did not eat started shading out the good stuff.

I did not have any issues with flying predators, some people do. My property was set up where I could do this, not sure if yours is. But maybe something to consider.

We are dealing with a similar problem since our birds have learned to hop up on the chain link portions of our "extended run".

The run for our 6 birds is 6x10', basically the minimum. But the extended run is 24x36'. Initially they were great about just running around and grazing. Since they've started to get bigger they habitually hop up on the top rail of the chain link portion of the enclosure.

Below is a picture of the current area and what we are planning to do to basically turn in into a little "chicken prison". We'll add some wire to the extensions pictured.

20221008_173850.jpg
Screenshot_20221120-201022_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20221120-201031_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Now that it’s winter the chicken run is basically mud. Void of grass. So during the day I’d like to have the option to let the chickens out in the yard for that fresh grass and bugs. BUT, they can’t be free roaming because the dog would never leave them alone. So I need some type of mobile enclosed chicken run.

I’m thinking something I can butt up against the run door that they can go in to which would allow them access to the fresh grass but keep them contained. Then as it got dark they just mosey on back in the run and coop.

I’m also considering something that once they are all in, I can secure the door and move it around the yard. Then in the evening butt it back up against the run door and in they go.

I’ve got about 15 chickens so it would probably have to be pretty big to accommodate. Not sure if this idea is even possible or feasible considering it would have to be about a 150sq ft mobile chicken run.

But I’m willing to hear suggestions and make it work if possible. I don’t really want to expand the run because let’s face it….whatever the size is will be nothing but mud in a month unless they have free reign of the entire 3 acres....
I don’t have many options for the deep liter method either unless I simply buy a bunch of mulch and toss in there. Moving everything is not an option.

This is an older picture but that’s the gate. Thanks for the feedback/suggestions!

View attachment 3334812
Due to the number of chickens you have and how big the tractor needs to be I suggest you make a pvc tractor 10 x 15 (pvc comes in 10' sticks).It would be easy to assemble and pull without wheels ( it would be light). They're popular with folks who raise meat birds on pasture because they can hold a lot of meat birds! https://www.itsoverflowing.com/pvc-chicken-tractor-plans/

We are dealing with a similar problem since our birds have learned to hop up on the chain link portions of our "extended run".

The run for our 6 birds is 6x10', basically the minimum. But the extended run is 24x36'. Initially they were great about just running around and grazing. Since they've started to get bigger they habitually hop up on the top rail of the chain link portion of the enclosure.

Below is a picture of the current area and what we are planning to do to basically turn in into a little "chicken prison". We'll add some wire to the extensions pictured.

View attachment 3335606View attachment 3335608View attachment 3335609
Good idea! My set up is kinda similar. I just put netting over the whole thing since we have so many hawks.

View attachment 3335606View attachment 3335608View attachment 3335609
Risers are also an excellent way to run an electric fence on top of chain link to keep foxes and coyotes out.

I’m in Middle TN. We don’t get snow but very rarely. And when it snows it’s usually less than a couple inches and gone the next day. The PVC tractor is probably the best option. If I could somehow make it to be disassembled and re-assembled that would be even better. I’ll look more in to that option.

Back
Top Bottom