Need suggestion on letting the chickens out in a controlled run

they habitually hop up on the top rail of the chain link portion of the enclosure.
Chickens like to perch. With your top rail solid they have a great place to perch. What you are doing will raise the fence 1'. Raising it is not what will make that work, they could still fly up that high. Having the top of your fence wire instead of a good place to perch is what will make it work. Good solution.

I’m in Middle TN. We don’t get snow but very rarely. And when it snows it’s usually less than a couple inches and gone the next day. The PVC tractor is probably the best option. If I could somehow make it to be disassembled and re-assembled that would be even better. I’ll look more in to that option.
We made a large pvc cat catio using 10 ft sections of 3/4 " pvc pipe years ago and it still looks good as new.We attached it to a wood base to make it heavier lol

An old post on here from a meat chicken guy showed his 2 1/2 foot tall PVC pipe and chicken wire yard tractor.
Now if it was me, two 12' tall 4x4 posts in the ground 3' with a milk create on top. A 6 foot 1 1/2" pvc through the milk create for spreaders. Now drape the 25' x25' poultry netting from pinnon hatch farms. https://pinnonhatch.com/poultry-sup...cj4-bc8s2-fwpxt-bch5a-mng6l-78jty-t4r2g-rgmr6
your run is done.

I don't know about this. It's an awful lot of moving stuff around. I'd be exhausted. Why not just put the dog in a kennel with some treats while the chickens free range in the yard?

Because I like the dog better :cool:.
He’s got an electric fence buried in the ground and has free range of the whole yard. Kinda defeats the purpose of the fence to just toss him in a kennel. BUT, that isn’t a bad idea just for a day here and there to give the chickens a “treat” and let them free range.

Back
Top Bottom