need suggestions for building a run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jomanas, Aug 14, 2011.

1. jomanas

jomanas New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    I need some recommendations on building an extended run for my coop. Basically I want something about 8 feet long and 2-3 feet wide running perpendicular to the existing run door so I can let them out each day to stretch their legs and guide them back in later. Only problem is I can't quite figure out how to build it while keeping the existing run door accessible so I can open it, change food/water, and of course clean under the coop.
    Anyone have any ideas of how to do this?

You can see my current setup here:
    [​IMG]

2. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    You could just keep a similar design right off the coop. I would exted out from the peek (on the right) out to the dimensions you are looking for (3X8). You could use the same materials to match what you already have. I would also put sand in it (3-4 inches thick). It easy to clean with a kitty litter scoop.

3. jomanas

jomanas New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    thanks for the advice, forgot to mention that there is a fence about one foot to the right so I can't go that way.

4. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Can you go ahead & build the run out front, but hinge the roof of the existing small run for access from the top?

5. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Is it possible to pull the whole existing structure out from the wall/fence, and just add the extra run to the back side?

mm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by