Need suggestions for project- what's your favorite bacteria?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by burntumber, Oct 3, 2008.

1. burntumber

burntumber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    I'm a third year pre-vet major. I need a nice bacteria for a major Micro-biology lab project.

Any suggestions? Something new and of particular interest. Thanks!

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Does it have to be a bacteria?

If so, something drug resistant that has morfed.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Yikes! Well, I've got a chicken that I'm treating now that has Spirochetes. It's a bugger...she's on her 4th antibiotic now. Would be nice if we could figure out how to beat it.

4. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    Want to help clean out our frig? [​IMG]

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    How about Methicillan Resistant Staphlococcys Aureaus (MRSA)? That's a really honey of a bacteria.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    My vet and I recently talked about the newer megabacteria that are cropping up ~ some even 20x the size (or more!) of previously-known bacteria. Some don't even have names yet! They are gram-positive, so with the right equipment you can produce all sorts of nice pics for your project. And if you can figure out a way to neutralize them . . . well, remember us when you collect your grants and awards!

Good luck! There are many of us who would love to be updated on how your project goes!

[​IMG]

7. burntumber

burntumber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Yeah, it has to be a bacteria, otherwise I'd be doing laryngotracheitis, which is a virus.

Jenski- I'm going to look into these new mega-bacterias- I'm thinking the state vet here might be able to help on some leads.

The spirochetes have piqued my interest- good luck with the treatment. And I'll have a little look-see into MRSA.

Thanks- I'll let you know what I decide to do! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by