Need temporary coop ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wundernurse, Oct 8, 2009.

1. wundernurse

wundernurse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Atlanta
    I am adding three more pullets to my flock of three. I need to have a separate coop area for the quarantine period. Any ideas for housing for the new girls that is easy to do with minimal expense? I have 2 days to get something together. Thanks

2. Sam The Yam

Sam The Yam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    You could just do you a little A frame out of some 2X4's and some chicken wire, or may a large sturdy cardboard box, that is if you are planning on putting it inside the existing coop so that it would be protected from predators. Best of luck!

3. whytedragon

whytedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas
    Maybe a large dog kennel? I know they make them pretty darn big...and they even have small dog runs.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I have two (blue-tarp covered) dog runs that I use. The larger one has a rabbit hutch in it for their coop and the smaller has an igloo dog house that my dogs never use.

Check CL and freecycle or maybe ask friends/family if anybody has one they're not using that you could borrow. I put chicken wire around the bottom 2' or so and have it running out like an apron for another 1 1/2-2' to keep critters from digging in or reaching thru.

5. cposz

cposz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    This spring we modified an old, unused dog house for our 2 pullets. They only used it at night and it was perfect for that.
    Now we keep the modified dog house on standby to be used as a sick bay if needed, a timeout if needed, or just a place to store some feed and other supplies.

6. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Dog House definitely. Our neighbor gave us a really big one and I made a little run for the front of it. Perfect for my babies when the come out of the brooder soon. And i spent all of $50 on the whole thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by