Need tips on keeping polish hens

Jemma Rider

Songster
Nov 25, 2017
Maryland
I'm worried my chick Darla will be bullied once she's integrated with my adult flock. She's a white black crested polish, I didn't want a polish I didn't think it would be super safe to add one into my flock, but my mom is the one who put in the order and by the time I realized and asked her to change it it was too late.
When she's big enough I plan to keep her locked up while the rest of the birds free range, I'll probably let half of the flock free range and leave half with her locked up in the run. I have a lot of hawks and I don't want to risk letting her out unless I am out to supervise.
I'm trimming the feathers around her eyes a bit presently, but I want to figure out how to put her feathers into a pony tail eventually, she's too small right now.
She'll be the only polish in a flock of six other hens, three of which are part of her brood and one rooster though rooster will be separated until the new girls start laying consistently (my roo has partial cresting but I don't think that would make a difference in anything and even if it could it's so subtle because of his big comb).
I'm wondering if anybody has experience keeping a single polish in a flock, and what they have done to protect them from bullying and getting eaten by predators.
I've read a few articles and threads on BYC already but I'd still like some more info.
Thanks in advance, this is Darla.
20180816_190759.jpg

Once you get the rooster in there with them, then you can let her free. Crest doesn't seem to cover eyes at moment. Roosters are great at finding and warning about hawks.

Once you get the rooster in there with them, then you can let her free. Crest doesn't seem to cover eyes at moment. Roosters are great at finding and warning about hawks.
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply!
Yeah my boy is great. He's still pretty young so I don't want him trying to mate with the little ones for a long long time. I'm mostly worried about bullying, I have one hen who loves to peck at the ones below her, she's fine if she's free ranging but I'm thinking about when it's time to roost and I read that polish chickens have weaker skulls as well which makes me even more concerned.

Back
Top Bottom