Need tips on plucking feathers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by karmlacres, Nov 9, 2011.

1. karmlacres

karmlacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    I have a hen that has just been harassed by the alpha roo. Her back is looking better since I got her a saddle. But her feathers are a mess. The tops of her wings, which I would think of as shoulders, are raw and red. They've been like this for months. They look irritated but not infected. There are broken feathers and I read somewhere at some time that I need to pull those out so new feathers can grow. I've tried, though, but can't get the feathers out. I'm not pulling hard enough is likely one problem. But I'm wondering if I should put a cool or warm compress on the area to assist in dislodging the feathers.

Any tips on plucking feathers to aid in the healing of her skin would be greatly appreciated!

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I'd leave them alone and let Mother Nature take care of it.

You can put some antibiotic cream on the red areas, if it makes you feel better, and I suggest you check carefully for mites.

3. karmlacres

karmlacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    How long should I give mother nature? It's November now and she's been like this since at least July or August. At least! I had them separated for about a month in hopes of seeing some improvement on her wings, but that never happened. All birds are back together. From what I've seen, it is only the alpha roo that tries anything with her.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    She'll replace them when she molts, and not before then

You can trim them short, but don't pull them out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by