Need to add ventilation but how?

SE PA does not get cold enough to need heat or insulation. Just draft free roost area. Orient the coop in such a way as to protect from prevailing winds snd blowing rain or snow. Sone people cover one or two sides with clear plastic panels or something to protect from the worst of winter winds or blowing rain/snow if needed. Your tree you mentioned may help with this.

So let's say that I had 3 birds in this coop, if I cut an 18x18 square on both sides that'd be sufficient? Am I understanding the math right? Would this alter their ability to stay warm in winter? Sorry doing my best to figure this out after being misled by coop description.

I would not cut the coop - I have one of these coops when we started. The coop is very solid but small and leaks. In the summer, we open up one or both of the side doors, and cover with screens (you can use hardware cloth to cover the side doors). Leave the front door open all the time even in winter. Most nights chickens stay in the bigger coop, but occasionally one or two chickens would choose to stay in this old coop. Some of them still like to use the nesting box in this coop, so ventilation is super important in the summer even with the low usage.

I also added a fan in the summer at the entrance to increase the airflow

We also made a platform in the front to increase the floor space, if you do that, you can take out the front wall completely.

Below are some photos of our modification. This coop is connected to another coop and to a large run. The entire complex is predator proofed in a fenced in yard. The third photo is to cover the nesting hinge to prevent leaking.

Attachments

• coop_front door.jpg
    coop_front door.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 8
  • coop_side_door.jpg
    coop_side_door.jpg
    759.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2773.jpg
    IMG_2773.jpg
    921.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom