1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need to cull the flock.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by carl siemer, Apr 9, 2016.

1. carl siemer

carl siemer New Egg

Apr 9, 2016
    We have 9 hens in varying age groups. Only 3 are laying. Need to cull the flock in order to make room for 12 new ones. Don/t want the meat or the birds. If we could find someone who might take them, they can have them. I cannot kill my birds. Any information on processing business in the WV Panhandle or nearby Pennsylvania. I understand that the Amish will do this but don't know any Amish. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. slingshotandLAR

slingshotandLAR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    Post them as free on Craigslist... They will be gone in a hour

3. carl siemer

carl siemer New Egg

Apr 9, 2016
    Sorry but I don't use Craigslist.

4. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Take them to the homeless shelter with a book on butchering chickens.

Put them in a box on the corner, put a ten dollar price tag on the box, they'll be stolen within an hour.

Or maybe try something responsible, they're your birds, you raised them, should have have thought of these things.

1 person likes this.
  5. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Craigslist is the fastest easiest option if you don't want to use that post an ad in the paper or hang signs on bulletin boards at stores or the feed mill, ask around at the feed mill if they know anyone who would want some soup chickens. But honestly Craigslist farm and garden section would be the best bet

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I don't get the thing about not using CL, it's simply an advertising site. But whatever, there are other ways to advertise---fliers at the feed store, the Nickle or Penny Saver or whatever your local freebie paper is, facebook if you're on that, classified ad in the local paper, vet offices, or anywhere "homesteader" types shop or congregate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by