Need to decide on some banty breeds!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RedIII, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Sebrights

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Cochins

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Campines

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Silkies

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Seramas

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. Game (OE or American)

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Mutts!

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. Brahmas

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  9. Other

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Hey all! So I'm doing a bit of fun homework here. We recently acquired a new rooster, who I believe is a Sultan bantam. Not only is he small and very easy to handle, but I think he has a tendency to let himself be hen pecked. I would very much love to find him a couple of girls who would be gentle and not aggressive, since it looks like he's been picked on before.

Here's the catch: I would like to get some hens that are colorful, but I know that some of the splashy breeds can be flighty or aggressive. Egg laying doesn't matter as much, and this flock will be given a mixture of confinement and free ranging time. I'd love to find some crazy-colored girls for little Jerry, but when it comes down to it, I really, really want hens that won't beat the tar out of him.

So, in a nutshell:

-Looking for something colorful
    -Would prefer tame/friendly over any other traits

I'd love to hear any suggestions, preferences, or experience you might have. Thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Silkies, Cochins and Brahmas....

3. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Silkies! [​IMG]

4. Melinda35

Melinda35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Texas
    A Partridge Cochin Bantam is my absolute favorite. I have two that I got out of the assorted bantam bin at TSC last spring. They are beautiful and so sweet. They love to sit on eggs no matter who they belong to. They will not put a hole in your hand if you take the eggs out from under them. Here they are at about two months old. You can see the pretty coloring starting to come out. [​IMG]

This is the only other picture I have. She is standing behind my rooster. You can see the grey coloring that she has.

[​IMG]

5. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Wow! Cute! Truth be told, Cochins are one of the two or three breeds that I am strongly favoring, so this is cool to hear.

By the by, thank you everyone who's helped so far!

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    How about Belgian d'Uccles? They are sweet and silly and goofy. Ours always make us laugh.

Old English game bantams are another possibility, but ours do tend to be more aggressive than the d'Uccles with respect to other chickens. With us, they are very sweet. They are easy to find, and come in an amazing variety of colors. We went to a chicken show last week, and I was drooling over the Crele and Quail colors.

It would also be good to consider your climate. Our d'Uccles do OK here in North Texas heat, although the Old English bantams we have manage much better. The d'Uccles start panting at around 85 degrees, while the OEGB barely notice heat up into the 90's.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What Mahonri said.

8. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Don't forget the bantam Wyandottes!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  9. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    I don't know about the Brahmas, but the Silkies and Cochins are certainly good choices. It's a toss up which one is the friendliest though. They are both great litle chickens. Silkies are great little broodies also, in case you want more chickens. Love that Cicken Math. [​IMG]

10. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I have a d'Uccle pullet who is the sweetest thing (and gorgeous)! The only problem with them is that they aren't the best layers and my little pullet tends to get bullied.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by