Need to expand. Help please.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by aleithe, Feb 27, 2014.

1. aleithe

aleithe New Egg

Feb 24, 2014
    We have a coop that houses 2 hens. But, we have 3 chicks and would like to get more. I've searched all over the web for answers, no luck. I'm hoping for ideas of expanding this coop, or is it a big deal to just add a second coop? And attach them both to the same run? Any advice greatly appreciated! This will be our weekend project.

[​IMG]

2. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    If you have the room you might want to just expand the coop to the back following the same roof line. As far as building another coop and attaching it to the run if your adding 3 or more chickens your going to need a bigger run anyway, as that is not nearly enough run space.
    A good rule of thumb is 4 sq feet in the coop and 10 sq feet in the run if your chickens stay in there all the time. If they free range you can get by with less but the more space you have the better.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Buy a shed kit and make a large enough coop....use this one as brooder/isolation coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by