Need to Figure Out Who is Dropping Softies

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I have 17 layers and someone is dropping softies/shelless eggs that are making a reeking disaster out of my nestboxes.

Neither a camera nor stalking the boxes is an option because I can't afford a coop cam right now and I can't sit out there in 95F heat all day on my day off. :D

What are my options to figure out which hen is the culprit?

Does food coloring in the vent work for this? Any other suggestions?

Do you have any idea on who it might be to at least narrow down your list of suspects?
If so, get cheap lipstick in different colors and mark the vents with that. It's less likely to wear off quickly with pooping.
Obviously, something of the shell would have be left behind to determine who did it.
The next thing I would do is try to get them eating more oyster shell. I have two dispensers, one next to a feed trough and one at the door to the pen, both at chicken face level. I also periodically do a "calcium infusion" where I mix a handful of oyster shell with Greek yogurt then put dollops of it all over the place for them to eat. Then I put a dollop of yogurt in the dispenser next to the run door.

Do you have any idea on who it might be to at least narrow down your list of suspects?
If so, get cheap lipstick in different colors and mark the vents with that. It's less likely to wear off quickly with pooping.
Obviously, something of the shell would have be left behind to determine who did it.

I've gotten one that was just-laid and still intact but mostly by the time I'm home from work and am collecting eggs they've been broken and eaten.

About all I can tell is that the one that had a bit of shell came on a day that I did have a white egg from my CW and dark eggs from my 2 FCMs.

I am not certain, but I think there was a mess on a day where I also had one of the wonky eggs with the calcium deposits from my SLW.

So maybe a dozen or 14 candidates.

The next thing I would do is try to get them eating more oyster shell. I have two dispensers, one next to a feed trough and one at the door to the pen, both at chicken face level.

I never let the container get empty, but I could certainly add another calcium station.

What are my options to figure out which hen is the culprit?

I haven't done it myself but there are different threads on here where people say lipstick or food coloring work. I lost my links in a computer crash. As Dobie said, there needs to be enough left to be able to see them.

The only other thing I can think of is to start isolating hens to see what they lay. Maybe two or three at a time to quickly narrow it down. Can't remember what you have as far as isolation facilities.

I don't like to treat the whole flock when it is an individual hen issue. But as long as you are not forcing them to eat extra calcium but giving them the option I don't see any problems.

The only other thing I can think of is to start isolating hens to see what they lay. Maybe two or three at a time to quickly narrow it down. Can't remember what you have as far as isolation facilities.

I could probably put 2 at a time into the broody breaker for a couple days -- maybe another pair in the maternity ward if I can get the chicks' actual integration pen repaired (the netting gave just when I needed it so I stuck the chicks in the maternity ward :lau ).

But not until next week because I'll be out of town a couple days this week.

The coffee can is my previous calcium container, which was located beside the door.

The detergent bottle is the new one, in the center of the coop.

I try not to ever let my calcium feeder go empty, but I suppose it's possible for some hens to not get in to use it as much.

Attachments

• 0807221518_HDR.jpg
    0807221518_HDR.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 0807221518a_HDR.jpg
    0807221518a_HDR.jpg
    836.9 KB · Views: 9
I *think* I've figured it out.

There was another mess in the nest again and this time it had a bit of shell. The shell was pinkish so most likely that would be one of the Lavender Orpington x SLW girls. I looked them over as best I could without being able to catch and handle them and found one with a messy backside.

I'll try to figure out what band she's wearing tonight off the roost if I can.

Back
Top Bottom