Need to find chicken-lovers in St. Louis (and MO in-general)!

You're very welcome! I really hope you can find some valuable contacts/ networking opportunities this way. Also, maybe Slow Food St Louis!

Latest updates below...

When will I be getting the hens? At this time I have no set-date. I should know more after Thursday of next week. The "higher-ups" will be meeting to hash out the details surrounding dates for the next cycle retirements and bringing in new flocks. Just to put it out there now, my plan is to bring the hens back to someplace like Tower Grove Park. It's a big enough common-area where you can come easily pick-up your hens. I'll need everyone to bring their own carriers or boxes to transport them home. Once a firm date is settled, I'll send out time options to get feedback on what works best.

Are the chickens vaccinated? Yes and no. A system is in-place to easily distinguish which birds are vaccinated, and which ones aren't. The vaccines cover Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), Newcastle Disease, and Marek's (MD). They also never use live-vaccines. If you have a preference for NON-vaccinated birds -- let me know ASAP. Otherwise, I'll be asking for all vaccinated birds. For those who already have chickens, this will help to ensure their health isn't compromised. For those starting out, this will put you in a better position to prevent nasty health-issues in the future.

Are the beaks clipped? Yes. They do it with a laser when they're day-old chicks. It's only done once, and they still grow since there was no cauterization.

Hi!! I'm located in NW MO and have experience with battery hens. I took in ten last year and have space for more if you need placement for them!

We are totally no kill on our little farm, and for our hens retirement MEANS retirement. My girls free range all day every day and have a safe secure coop for bed time :)

You can PM me, I work for an animal rescue and can probably help in more ways than just taking in some hens myself.

Ahhhh, just re-read your post. I've got small kids and won't be able to travel to stl....maybe can figure something out though. PM me anyways- I have contacts at a bird rescue here that has actually helped a lot of chickens!

Hen Update (9/6/17)...

To give a quick rundown of what's been going on since you last heard from me: The original deal fell through because the board couldn't come to a unanimous "yes" decision, which was needed to proceed. Fortunately for me, the VP felt so bad about the outcome, he put me in contact with someone on the Missouri Egg Council who's been a tremendous help so far. I was able to meet with a few different egg producers at the State Fair in Sedalia, MO, and I think meeting in-person proved my dedication to getting this done. Dare I say I was able to gain some respect in the industry...? As a result, I've made positive progress in procuring hens.

I know this is taking longer than we'd all hoped, but one plus is that we'll be getting hens after things have started to cool down, and it will cut back on the additional stress of heat during transport. One of the companies I'm currently in-talks with will be retiring some hens in mid- to late-September.

Besides coordinating details and legalities with those I met with, where I'm at now is reaching out to find additional Veterinarians who see the benefit of what I'm doing and are willing to help. Whether that be offering their expertise or knowing other Veterinarians who can help -- I'll take what I can get. I can't tell you how many times now I've been turned down because "they're just chickens." So if anyone knows a Veterinarian who would love an opportunity to volunteer -- PLEASE put them in contact with me ASAP!

I also want to let folks near the St. Louis area know that a lovely gentleman has offered his skills to anyone who might want to adopt some hens but doesn't have a set-up. For the material cost, he's willing to build you a coop. If this is something that you're interested in, or you know someone who is, let me know and I can put you in contact with him.

Volunteers for transport, and carriers/cages/crates are still needed, so if feel you can help in one of these areas, please let me know. Lastly, if your status has changed and you can no longer take hens -- please let me know so I can update my numbers. I can't afford to have a bunch of extra hens with nowhere to place them!

YOUR SUPPORT has kept me going, and is more appreciated than you'll ever know. I'm driven by knowing there are others out there like me who value the lives of these hens and see the benefit in allowing them to live out their lives to the fullest.

Hen Update (9/6/17)...

To give a quick rundown of what's been going on since you last heard from me: The original deal fell through because the board couldn't come to a unanimous "yes" decision, which was needed to proceed. Fortunately for me, the VP felt so bad about the outcome, he put me in contact with someone on the Missouri Egg Council who's been a tremendous help so far. I was able to meet with a few different egg producers at the State Fair in Sedalia, MO, and I think meeting in-person proved my dedication to getting this done. Dare I say I was able to gain some respect in the industry...? As a result, I've made positive progress in procuring hens.

I know this is taking longer than we'd all hoped, but one plus is that we'll be getting hens after things have started to cool down, and it will cut back on the additional stress of heat during transport. One of the companies I'm currently in-talks with will be retiring some hens in mid- to late-September.

Besides coordinating details and legalities with those I met with, where I'm at now is reaching out to find additional Veterinarians who see the benefit of what I'm doing and are willing to help. Whether that be offering their expertise or knowing other Veterinarians who can help -- I'll take what I can get. I can't tell you how many times now I've been turned down because "they're just chickens." So if anyone knows a Veterinarian who would love an opportunity to volunteer -- PLEASE put them in contact with me ASAP!

I also want to let folks near the St. Louis area know that a lovely gentleman has offered his skills to anyone who might want to adopt some hens but doesn't have a set-up. For the material cost, he's willing to build you a coop. If this is something that you're interested in, or you know someone who is, let me know and I can put you in contact with him.

Volunteers for transport, and carriers/cages/crates are still needed, so if feel you can help in one of these areas, please let me know. Lastly, if your status has changed and you can no longer take hens -- please let me know so I can update my numbers. I can't afford to have a bunch of extra hens with nowhere to place them!

YOUR SUPPORT has kept me going, and is more appreciated than you'll ever know. I'm driven by knowing there are others out there like me who value the lives of these hens and see the benefit in allowing them to live out their lives to the fullest.

Back
Top Bottom