Need to find Sex of 1 week old chicks

kar-bear

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 17, 2013
St. Peters, MO
I purchased 7 buff orps and 3 plymouth barred rocks, and Ideal sent me 6 extra chicks to keep them warm, I have no idea what sex or what breed they are, but they are yellow, they said that they sent extra for space in the box and wartm and that they are "236 Ideal Males", what in the world does that mean?? not sure what to do with them, I wanted all GIRLS..they are very cute now.. they are all 1 week old today.

I purchased 7 buff orps and 3 plymouth barred rocks, and Ideal sent me 6 extra chicks to keep them warm, I have no idea what sex or what breed they are, but they are yellow, they said that they sent extra for space in the box and wartm and that they are "236 Ideal Males", what in the world does that mean?? not sure what to do with them, I wanted all GIRLS..they are very cute now.. they are all 1 week old today.

I need step instruction of if I can sex them now? or have to wait, and HOW???

Hatcheries are extremely accurate in sexing chicks. They state 90% to cover themselves but in reality are more like 98% correct. Your ordered chicks are likely all female and the extras what Ideal said- males. Ideal 236 is a hybrid white egg laying machine. They wont get very big but still will be tastey as fryers or in a stew or pot pie.

they did tell me that they were 236 ideal males, but I need to make sure, I will have to give them away, I dont need roosters.. but if some of the 6 come to be ladies, I will keep them, and I want to make sure that the ones I have are true girls.

You'll be able to tell at 4-5 weeks old. Post pics of them then but it should start to stand out if any of your order are males or if any of the extras are female.

The hatchery told you what they are. Go to their website and look up the Ideal 236, they gave you extra males (aka packing peanuts) for warmth. The sexing on them is the same as all other hatchery birds--90%. If you got 6 birds, I'd just go on the assumption they're all males. Either get rid of them now or raise them up for fryers.

I had checked their vents and wings, looks to me most of them are girls, but one buff orp wing feathers look a little different, they seem a little rounded on the ends but where they start from the body are straight, that one particuarly looks a slight different, that one is my baby, it has started to talk, fly to me and eat from my hand first.

Back
Top Bottom