Need to fund my new addiction...

kvmommy

Songster
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
Sooo...I've only hatched 1 batch so far...with not much success with 5 out of 24. But it was the best 21 days. LOL So, I want to do more...and will. But is it profitable enough to justify buying eggs just to sell the chicks on CL? just for the fun of hatching?

probably not unless you can get the eggs cheap enough. My first hatch I bought 24 eggs from a guy near us, paid 2 dollars a dozen so 4 dollars for all the eggs. Hatched 22 out of 23 eggs and sold them for 1 dollar a piece. Made 18 dollars after the cost of the eggs. That doesnt count cost of electricity or feeding them for 3 weeks.

i buy mine from a lady and get them for $5 a doz... i can fit 41 in my turner and i have a small one that holds 3-4 small eggs so i buy 4 doz and the 3-4 extras go to my broodys!! and my chicks sell as straight run day or 2 olds for 3$ so i make a pretty good profit. i also get a good deal on eggs, i get tons of different kinds, rare to high productions to ornamentals.

my egg lady is AWESOME!!
big_smile.png

thats why i keep my price high for my chicks...3- 4 $ each then if i cant sell them lower the price. i always make my money back on them.

i can potentially hatch 48 eggs if i have 100% hatch rate so even if i have 20 hatch i still make money.

but this is my opinion, alot of people think i lose money but oh well...its my money that im choosing to lose.

Back
Top Bottom