Need to get my chicks outside, Brooder too small!!

Reurra

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Nova Scotia
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/ns-7_metric_e.html (hit the little C next to todays temp to change it to F)

Here is a link for our weather. Its raining, but not freezing.

My problem is that my brooder is just too small for them now! They have grown so much! Each one is pretty heavy when I pick them up. However some are not completely feathered despite thier age and size. I have 5 that need to go out. Thier ages range between 5-6 weeks old.

Our coop is the size of a one car garage, but its been divided into a 12x9 area for the regular coop. I will be making an interior fenced area for the babies to make sure the older hens cant mix with them, but can see them. Its not insulated, but its very well build with no drafts. The floor is concrete with shavings. I plan to make them a box to hide in as well.

Will 5 chicks be OK? There is no electricity out there and its too far from the house to run a cord without splicing, with this weather I would be worried about shorting out the lamp anyhow.

Ive read alot about whens a good time to let them out. Im confused though because I get alot of people saying its OK at 4 weeks and some say 8 weeks, some say 40* is OK and others say it has to be the upper 50s. Some say fully feathered others say mostly feathered. Im pretty confused lol.
hu.gif

Heres a post with pictures of them. It will give an idea of how feathered they are.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...of-my-chicks-pic-heavy-update/10#post_9058279

Last edited:
Once they are feathered out, they should be fine out in the coop. Do keep them out of the harsh weather, or at least let them have a choice of coming in out of the weather...I bring mine in and keep them out of the rain until they know that the coop is shelter and is warm and inviting

Well, they wont have access to the outside, they will be able to see it if i open the door, but not actually go out. The mini coop will be built right inside the main coop, it will be 8x4 on the ground and 5 foot tall. This will accommodate 5 chicks. As well as a little box for them to go into and snuggle if they are cold.

I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. This time of year the weather should be a lot warmer, at the same time though, the birds are starting to have a smell no matter how often i clean the brooder. The brooder is only 4x2 on the floor and 3 feet tall. At just about 6 weeks old they are getting pretty restless. Nugget has taken to biting the earlobes of the other birds and yanking as hard as he can. they really need more room but I dont want them to freeze out there.

At this time of year it should be alot warmer than it is. I was betting on the weather breaking by this time, but for the next week the temps will be between 40-50 at night.

Last edited:
They are good to go! Let 'em out! You really need to let them have more space because if they start pecking each other that can be "habit forming" and then you have a REAL problem. They will be fine!

Great topic! I'm having the same dilema here in western Washington. Our weather seems to be about like yours.....Thank you Darin367! You're my neighbor :) - I live in Elma!

n8tivetxn, thank you for your service.

Glad I found this thread. We're in Western WA as well and I was just trying to decide what to do about our huge chicks on this cool day. Guess they'll have a big day out :)

Thank you so much for the replies! I have been just beside myself the last 3 days. But now I can make thier new home and not worry!....at least a little less....just a little less worry haha. Its so hard to push them out of the nest!!

Im sure the hens wont have any idea what to do with these guys!! They will prolly talk to them through the wire and stare at them a loooong time....I have a feeling the stink eye is going to be pretty common for the next month until they are old enough to go out with the older girls lol.

GardenGal - Howdy neighbor! And, you're welcome! - Yes, this is a good thread.....

Re: the "stink eye" -
gig.gif
I had some of that going on last evening! I have 9 week olds camping next to the big coop so everyone can get familiar.... my top hen is an Ameraucana and she's really got the "stink eye" down to an art form! She's letting the young ones know their place.... It's really funny watching them look at the brooder box. During the day I move it outside, and I let the adults out to range - they come up and hear the cheeping and just stand and stare at the box! My Marans roo is tall enough to stretch and look over the top..... I wish I knew what he was thinking :)

Back
Top Bottom