Need to Know About WORMS

Oh, that's GREAT to hear! Yes, BYC is awesome. Whoda thunk it? When I started wtih chickens, I got 6, just to have fresh eggs and have extra to give away to friends. Well...now I have...um...let's see....30+. My husband thinks I'm crazy, and I keep telling him 30 isn't that much! I'll never understand why he doesn't get it...!

Quote:
If I had room, and more energy, and someone to build good pens and little houses for me, and more energy, and did I say, more energy? I no doubt would actually go out and buy/adopt more chickens..And other feathered babies.. But we have our hands full with the 4 roosters, 12 dogs and 20 cats..
I had a grey goose for many years..When she passed away, there was a big hole in my life..She had been brought to me as a young goose whose mate had been killed by dogs.. At the time, I had a good sized pond on my place, and figured she'd like it.. NOT..She wanted to be up at the house, so I got her a wading pool, then built her a good coon proof pen and shed, and she was content..During the day I'd let her out, and she followed me around all the time and would nip anyone who got too close to me.. I still miss her very much..

Awe....what a sweet story. I'm so glad you were there when the gray goose needed someone who cared. Bless you for making her life good while you looked after her!!
hugs.gif

Oh, and I'm TOTALLY with you on the "energy" thing. Sigh....

Quote:
Sad news..My Gofer is gone..
Earlier, he seemed a bit too warm, so I turned on the ceiling fan in the room to keep the air moving..That was a mistake..When I went in awhile ago to check on him, his nose had stuffed up again and he was making that noise in his throat again..I turned the fan off, then I got him out and on the floor, tried to offer a little water cause I knew his mouth was dry..He didn't want it, understandably..I got the VetRx and put some around his nose, then tried to get a little in his mouth, but he shook his head away from that.. Then he pooed a little, and I picked him up to clean him before it got all over him, and tilted his backend up a little as I have done many times..Put him back down, and his tail went up a few times, then his head went up with a wild look in his eye, and I knew the sinuses had drained down his throat and stopped his air flow, which scared him into a heart attack..He shook himself twice, reared up flapping wings and threw himself over backward, unconscious, then gone.
I have a nose syringe and should have used it soon as I heard the noises..I used it the other day, though it didn't really do any good..His nose never did get runny where I could see it..
He may have had pneumonia all along, because even when breathing through his nose easily, he was still breathing a bit faster than he should have..I attributed it to the stress, which it could have been..I never heard any sounds from listening to his back..
Whatever..he's free now.. and thankfully the last part did not last long..If I was a different person, I might have ended things for him at the beginning and saved him all this time of being messed up..but I can't do that..If they keep wanting to eat, I figure they are not ready to go.. I'll never use a fan in an air conditioned room with a sick chicken again.

Oh, no! I'm SO sorry to hear this news!
hugs.gif

I'm exactly like you...I can never end it if they seem to have even a small amount of will to live.

I'm glad you were there with him, even though it must have been TORTURE to watch him go. You did ALL you could, and he left this earth being truly loved...

Quote:
It happened so fast... That's the only good thing about it..If you don't count the month he was incapacitated prior to his departure..
His brothers are missing him.. They just kept staring at me and into Gofer's pen yesterday when I was sitting out under the tree..
That dang Ambien or whatever sleep aid commercial that comes on with the rooster in it chokes me up..That rooster looks a great deal like Gofer.. Silly ad always made me a little sad to see the rooster wandering down a deserted street at night alone ANYway... Now it just makes me cry..
There are two mistakes God made in creating Life..
Death, and Destructibility..
You gotta have death if you're gonna have destructibility, otherwise, if you became crippled up, you'd be doomed to be that way forever..which would not be good..Death might be the better alternative. But if we did not have destructibility OR death, I think that would have been the better route..
Oh well....

Hey I read that you can give panacur to chickens, can you give it to geese, what about the Ivermec Eprinex? will that work I have a poor woobly goose that has a hard time standing without falling forward or backwards, and I dont know what to do..thanks

Last edited:
Burton, you should repost your question in the "emergencies/diseases injuries & cures" section to get more feedback - I don't know a think about geese, but someone there should be able to help.

Chickenz1...yes, it does seem death and destructibility could be mistakes, but we really can't question why He created them. Just know there IS a reason...sometimes, it's hard to see or find...and I sometimes even think we're not intended to know.

I know the commercial you speak of...yes, it's a bit sad in the first place, and now you have something way more person to attach to it. Sigh...I'm so sorry...

Quote:
I would definately check with a vet that knows about geese, or the agricultural dept, unless someone else on here knows for certain..
I had a goose for years who never showed signs of worms, and she walked around everywhere..Geese don't swallow as much dirt as chickens do..so I wonder do they even get worms??
I take that back..geese swallow a lot of MUD..Don't know if worm eggs surviove in mud or not for that matter..

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh, I can question..It's expecting straight answers I can't really do..
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom