1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need to know gender of 12 week Delaware

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by addictedtochickens, Jan 10, 2011.

1. addictedtochickens

addictedtochickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    I was raising Delaware roosters for science fair and didn't want to eat any hens by accident. When I was reading it said that hens would have black tail feathers instead of barred feathers and this one has black feathers but the tail looks wrong. Here are some pictures

[​IMG]

Here is a comb/ head shot
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here is a neck feather shot because I read it may show if it was male or female??? The feathers are rounded incase the picture doesn't show well.

[​IMG]

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Roo

3. addictedtochickens

Aug 6, 2010
    Thanks. Are the tail feathers different because it is hatchery quality?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I see a whole bunch of cockerels.

This one doesn't have barring because it is a Columbian Rock, not a Delaware. That or the hatcheries really have bad breeding.

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Roos. All roos.

6. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:x2

7. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    All roosters.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    The one in question is a rooster. I'm looking at legs, comb, wattles, tail and hackle feathers to make that call.

9. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    When I was wrestling with determining the gender of my 2 Dels this summer, a breeder said that males had barred tail feathers (like the bird in the background in your 2nd picture) ON THE ADULTS. Females have feathers that are black with white edges. BUT you can't use tailfeathers as a determining factor until they get their adult feathers. At that time I had one bird with barred feathers and one with white edged black tail feathers. Both turned out to be girls and are both laying.

On the same token, those tailfeathers are certainly curved downward compared to my girls' tails. http://picasaweb.google.com/sharol46/Almost14Weeks# Lucy and Angel are the 2 Dels at 14 weeks in these pictures. Note that their tails are much shorter than your bird and don't curve down. My girls came from MPC so they are hatchery quality.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  10. addictedtochickens

Aug 6, 2010
    I still have about two months to wait on these so I guess I should know for sure then. Delawares are so pretty I just didn't know I would want a bunch of Delaware hens when I got them. Chicken math is becoming a serious problem for me, I have 25 golden sexlink hens coming in march. [​IMG] Thank you for all of the posts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by