need to know the height of the chicken nipple waterer

jeannettenc

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
everything I've read says "chicken's back" height, but I won't have my chickens until May! How tall is that exactly? I was hoping to know the height to mount them before they get here! (they'll be 18 week Golden Comet pullets)

Nipple waterer's should be above the height of the chickens head. Enough so that they have to reach but not so much that it is difficult to reach.

In the range of about 14 -18" is usually about right. Hang from a chain using an S hook and you will be able to adjust to get the right height.

PS back height is for feeders not waterers

Last edited:
With a chicken by you, set it so they must raise their head to drink from it. That will allow the water to easily flow into their mouths.

Sorry to piggyback on this thread, but I'm going to!

I wish to run a PVC nipple watering system along the south wall of the coop.

However, also on the south wall is the chickens' door, which is 19" tall.

Do I hang the PVC in front of the door anyway (and force them to limbo under)? Or do some kind of elbow perhaps to skirt the door?

My husband is talking about us going to a long-distance family reunion in two weeks but he NEVER makes plans for the care of the animals! I am beside myself...

Quote:
Wouldn't the elbow-around section invite an airlock to form? I don't know but imagining it made me think of a P-trap under a sink.

I'd avoid putting anything in the doorway if at all possible. Aesthetically, it wouldn't look pretty and you may think of how you had to slap it together for that non-planning spouse of yours every time you saw it.

Personally, I'd hang a bucket nipple waterer in a hurry and then do a fancier install later when you can take the time to do it right.

Back
Top Bottom