Need To Make A Descition, Please Help Me Make The Right One!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crash0330, Jul 13, 2010.

  1. crash0330

    crash0330 Songster

    1,212
    12
    163
    Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Hi, So Im in a little bit of trouble trying to decide whats the best to do, Ok so a Little background first, 2.5 weeks ago I stopped picking up the eggs from their nest in hope that one of them would go broody, but after a5 days I decided to take one of them to eat it , to my surprise there was a chick developing already, (check out this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=367943 ) Im guessing it was the heat, so I quickly got all of them and put them inside on my incubator, so now I have 12 eggs all in different developing stages but there all not more than 5 days apart and Im planing to put them on lockdown this weekend since on monday will be day 21 since I stopped picking up the eggs, and now my hen has gone broody too, its really hot tho and Im not really sure if I should let her try to hatch abything its 105 to 110 during the day and it'll get even hotter in the following month.
    My hen went broody 3 days ago, so my big dilema is As soon as I knew she was broody I ordered some Pheasant hatching eggs, But now that im thinking about it Im not sure if she'll be able to hatch anything with this hheat so Im thinking if it'd be better if I just give her the eggs that I have in my incubator and that are due to hatch on monday, or should I let her try with the pheasant eggs see what happens, Also Do you guys think the little chicks will make it with this crazy heat?

    Thanks a lot in Advance.
     

  2. jossanne

    jossanne Songster

    Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    My mama silkie hatched 9 chicks out of 12 eggs on June 25, after a month of record heat here in southwestern New Mexico. It had been over 100 for many of her 21 days. After the chicks hatched, I brought them all into a brooder box in the house for a week or so, and then moved mama outside when she started to get restless. It worked for me, even with the high temperatures. I don't know how hard pheasant eggs are to hatch, but I'd give it a try if I were you.
     
  3. Kedreeva

    Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

    2,254
    130
    246
    Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    If your chicks were all due on the same day, I'd say go for it, but you said that some of them were were up to 5 days apart... it's quite possible she'd leave still viable eggs if the first ones hatch so far after. If she's small you can give her the pheasant eggs... I wouldn't *personally* give her the pheasant eggs either because I would want to be able to check on them often and I'd be scared of a broody rejected or stepping on or going crazy and pecking them open... but you could if you don't find those things to be a problem with your particular broody.
     
  4. crash0330

    crash0330 Songster

    1,212
    12
    163
    Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Thanks, today i got the pheasant eggs, so I took out the ones whe was sitting on and put in the pheasant eggs, as for the eggs she was sitting on I could only see development on one of them, so im gonna leave them outside on the nest and maybe one of the other hens will go broody.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by