Need to Make pred proof fence

mooSa

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Ok, I am closing an area with fence to keep out all predators. My questions are...

1- What amount of height for the fence will keep predators out?

2- Can hens fly over the fence?

3- If i borrow the fence 15 cm under the ground, will it keeps predators from entering below?

4- Is razor wire necessary on the top of the fence for protection?

OK, I'' give this my best shot :

1. Totally covered, most can climb any height if determined and dont forget bout the preditory birds.

2.yes. unless its, oh say 6 feet or better.

3.mmmmm think 15 cm is too little, I'd double that depth.

4. for climbimg preditors, a "climbproof" section is the best deterent. ex: smooth section

I build my with a stronge (L) shape wire two inches wide at the bottom of my run. An animal will dig close to the wall not back a foot where the wire ends

30553_ramclean_061.jpg

30553_ramclean_081.jpg

hmm ok, but you dont think the razor wire will keep them from climbing? and even if they attempt it will spike them no?

heh, its about 2 acres im closing, i can just roof 2 acres unless i make a cage. Theyl have area with roofing for shade and protection for flying predators. So you think the wire is useless? I mean when they sleep it will be completely sealed.

Last edited:
yeah, in that case, "freeranging" should be fine during the day. Not to many preds out in daylight...except dogs and cats.

but to refer to you post tittle. if it doesnt have a roof, its not predator proof.

Last edited:
I would use electric wire instead of razor wire. I can see me getting cut up more than predators. LOL. We have hawks here but i never saw any land around my property until i got chickens. Now it's not unusual to come home and find a hawk perched on top of my covered run. A good rooster will keep an eye out for hawks and hopefully get the hens to safety. But don't count on it. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom