Need to move 5wk old chicks outside...

StephanieRose44

Songster
Nov 27, 2018
Fishkill NY
I bought a extra large dog cage, had my husband put plywood on the inside and a type of thick foam insulation around the outside, along with plastic wrapped around it. I have 13 chicks some are a little younger than the others so I’m probably only moving about six in there. But my main question is I have 1 red 250 watt light for it to keep warm, and there is ventilation, I live in upstate NY so it’s about 30 degrees outside will they be warm enough. The photo is when they first started but just to give you an idea the wood is on the inside and the purple insulation is on the outside. I’m going out there right now to plug the light in and check the temperature with the thermometer but I’m still worried they’ll be too cold or too hot.

Attachments

• 43A6B959-A554-408B-9E24-96AF59D0226A.jpeg
    43A6B959-A554-408B-9E24-96AF59D0226A.jpeg
    626.1 KB · Views: 19
How many chicks?
That's pretty small for that big a heat source(not to mention a fire hazard),
and not very well protected for your climate.
Keep them away from that foam, they'll eat it and it could clog their crop.

Do you have a coop?

I think at that age at those temps I turned the heat on for my chicks when it was below freezing, so most nights, and some days, or just part of the day. For the most part they did just fine.

Perhaps with your setup it might be safer to build a mama hen heating pad instead. It's worth researching at least.

Also if you put the cage on your property somewhere it is more protected from the elements it will help, maybe along the side of the house or along the side of a shed or under a tree.

I set up a fire proof K and H large black heating pad in my coop from Amazon. I ran it out with an indoor outdoor cord. I put the cords connections in a fireproof box next to coop. I also plugged in heated base there for my poultry waterer so the water does not freeze. Everything is plugged in when under 30 degrees. I used industrial 2x4 size Velcro to secure heat pad in coop versus drilling so can remove in spring and secured outdoor thermometer which also measures humidity same way but could also just put in thermometer. Velcro at Walgreens. Make sure insulation is not reachable by chicks so can’t peck n swallow. I brooded my chicks with that type of light bulb when in brooder but inside till feathered out and tolerating room temp. I would definitely keep heat on for young ones. I did not put mine outside till feathered out which was 4-5 weeks but if colder maybe more 6-8 weeks.

I think at that age at those temps I turned the heat on for my chicks when it was below freezing, so most nights, and some days, or just part of the day. For the most part they did just fine.

Perhaps with your setup it might be safer to build a mama hen heating pad instead. It's worth researching at least.

Also if you put the cage on your property somewhere it is more protected from the elements it will help, maybe along the side of the house or along the side of a shed or under a tree.

Yes it’s close and behind the house about 5 feet from my window so I can keep an eye

And
How many chicks?
That's pretty small for that big a heat source(not to mention a fire hazard),
and not very well protected for your climate.
Keep them away from that foam, they'll eat it and it could clog their crop.

Do you have a coop?

All the foam is covered not reachable to the chicks, and the picture I posted the cage/box is not complete yet. But it’s all sealed up now with ventilation I have 12 chicks but 6 of them Will be 6 weeks in 2 days the other six are all 4wks 5 days. I was planning on just putting the older ones outside.

I had the same light when I kept them indoors in the cage before we insulated it but it was hanging just above the cage because my mud room is usually a constant 65 degrees. But since they’ll be outdoors in 30 below I figured that the heat source for the cage should work.

Back
Top Bottom