Need to put injured chicken back in coop.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by russajohnson, Jan 13, 2014.

1. russajohnson

russajohnson New Egg

May 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

About 3 weeks ago one of my chickens was attacked by a hawk. She darn near got her head ripped off. I took her to the vet and he stapled her neck shut. She has been living in my basement for the past 3 weeks while she healed. She seems like she is doing well and is laying eggs every day. I want to put her back out with the other chickens but every time I try the attack her viciously. I even tried bringing one chicken inside to hang out with her with the same results. What can I do to get the other chickens to leave her alone?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They don't remember her, so she is like an alien invader that they will kill. Make a safe place in the coop for a week or two where she has her own food and water, and can see them through a fence or enclosure. After a week or so, let them out to free range together while you watch and make sure she doesn't get hurt. After a while (a few days or a week), they might be okay together, but make sure any injuries she has are healed, and any red spots are covered with BluKote. There will be a bit of pecking at first, but don't let it get out of hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by