Need to ship hatching eggs - -WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST ? ?

Quote:
Hi All,
How old are the eggs you ship?
Do you cool them before sending, if so at what temperature?
Do you include a cool pack in the summer?

Thanks,
Joe

Quote:
hey math I went to walmart and got a 50' roll for less than $8 dollars I still have some left
buy bulk always bulk
thumbsup.gif

I've been practicing on the egg swap so far my eggs arrived quickly and they've hatched. I've gotten lots of shipped eggs and had good to fair results I wrap mine in a napkin first since I've had broken eggs get all over the good ones then wrap in bubble wrap or thin foam wrap most of this is all free/cheap stuff then line the box with large bubble wrap bottom and sides and I use grocery bags to fill the gaps. I've had dented boxes many times so I make sure the outer edges are well padded. If you use shredded paper it weighs more so then use the flat rate box but with the bubble wrap/plastic bags the weight is lighter so I use the medium box....

I use newspaper only, and rarely have broken eggs. Usually it's when the box has been extremely mishandled. Otherwise, they do fine.
Ship the freshest eggs possible, and keep them cool and stored pointed end down.
I take a half-sheet of newspaper, and starting in one corner roll once, twist and turn it, and continue wrapping. It's hard to describe without pictures. But it creates a bubble of protective cushioning around the eggs. I then place them, pointy end down, in a box that has been lined with crumpled newspaper. Packing more crumpled paper on top, snuggly, so that when it's closed up, nothing moves. I've been shipping for a couple of years now, and it's working well.
smile.png

Best part... we have a huge recycling bin in town behind the Borough building where they recycle all the unsold newspapers. It's clean, neat, and best of all, free.
smile.png

Hi!
How old are the eggs you ship?
Do you cool them before sending, if so at what temperature?
Do you include a cool pack in the summer?

Preferably, save fresh-laid eggs 3 days, ship 4th day and they are delivered and ready to set when they are 6 days (or less) old. USPS Priority usually cooperates, but not always.
I don't handle eggs 'potentially to be shipped' any different, they sit right here at room temp (70*) (no turning or anything).
I like to keep a 100' roll of bubblewrap on hand --- it's just minimally cheaper buying it that way, and I hate running out and last minute runs to the store for packing material.
Bubblewrap protects eggs against those 'rarely' occurrences.
smile.png

Lisa

Last edited:
oh and another thing make sure you write on the box in real big red letters. HATCHING EGGS, FRAGILE, DO NOT XRAY . All over the box so it doesn't get tossed and those eggs crack. Sometimes the post person wont do this for you . A friend sent me some and his post person forgot to as promised and well the eggs got tossed pretty good. 13 got broken and 17 were okay
sad.png

Not trying to toot my own horn here, but I'm so excited. I sent out "test" batches of olive egger eggs, and I received a response back from one of them that they are on Day 10 with 100% development!
woot.gif
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom